Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Six Days in Fallujah

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sexbad

sexbad

Six Days in Fallujah Empty
PostSubject: Six Days in Fallujah   Six Days in Fallujah EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:47 am

I just heard of this game recently and I don't know all that much about it, but I support every single move made by its developers that I've known of by now. It's about a battle in Iraq that took place in 2004 (and I don't really know the specifics other than how it was about capturing a hot spot) in the city of Fallujah.

The game was protested quite a bit last year because of its attention to authenticity (sort of like how MoH2010 is being advertised, but actually supposed to be authentic) and because of its documentation of such a recent event. Both of these reasons are, in my opinion, fucking stupid. It is my stance as a douchebag that games can be and some games right now even are works of art.

According to Wikipedia this is supposed to be not just a third person shooter but also survival horror, and I doubt that it will actually make me horrified, but I understand that statement to mean that it will reflect how "war is hell." The controversy is over how it seems to most old rich white people that video games can never evolve and this will be to them in the same category as twitchy thrill games like Modern Warfare 2 and Counter Strike. To me the premise is just the same to games as the the Odessa Steps scene in Battleship Potemkin is to films. You don't watch that for fun. You don't play Silent Hill for fun. You don't read The Painted Bird for fun. You do these things to be moved on different emotional levels.

Censorship is against the idea of art. Because shitheads can't get over the death of people related to them is not an excuse to have a (possible, it may in fact be a shit game for all I know) work of art that has meaning and emotional impact denied its place in society.

So do you think Six Days in Fallujah will actually be good?
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Six Days in Fallujah EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I thought they completely canceled it. But yeah I can see how people might find it offensive, and I'm in no position to criticize them and what they believe.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Six Days in Fallujah EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 pm

I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the hubbub. We have games that are either plainly or tangentially base don the current conflict in Iraq. What's the big deal about refining that to a single, specific event ? Inevitably, someone will say, 'What about the families of anyone who died there ?' But honestly, how many people are we talking about here ? Do we now ban things if it seems like ANYONE might get offended by it ? Games have re-created battles from WWII, Vietnam and other wars where veterans are still alive.

I think the big problem here was that the media got a hold of the story and decided to whip up some hysteria.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Six Days in Fallujah   Six Days in Fallujah Empty

Back to top Go down

Six Days in Fallujah
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: Upcoming Games-
Jump to: