A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Alpha Protocol

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Uberman
Admin

PostSubject: Alpha Protocol   Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Looking through the upcoming games for the next few months, I have to say that there are a couple of games that I'm really excited about. But one that's still a ways off is Alpha Protocol.

Perhaps it's from how much I enjoyed Mass Efeect 2, and I expect Alpha Protocol to be somewhat similar. Action RPG with plenty of shooting, good storyline/dialogue (hopefully) and choices that heavily affect the outcome of the game.

It's still about three months away but I've been excited about this game in concept since I first heard about it, and as more information has come out it just looks better and better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Cupids_Hitman

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:20 am

Oh yeah! This game looks totally awesome! I remember reading about this in an old EGM I believe and they said that in both combat and conversations make your character go the route of one of the three J.B.'s: Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer, or James Bond.

The Bourne kind of characters are more hand-to-hand combat and speak professionally, the Bauers are more gun focused and talk agressively, and the Bonds rely on gadgets and speak very suavely.

Personally, I think a combination of Bauer and Bond would be pretty cool for combat. For conversations, I'm thinking I'd like acting all suave all the time. Haha.

How about you guys? What kind of character do you think would be fun?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EliteWalrus

PostSubject: Hell No   Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:41 am

This game looks like Mass-Effect...with no sex! The combat system looks cheap and it seems like it's only focused on customization.

Last edited by EliteWalrus on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Izanagi_the fool

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:18 am

Oh there is definitely going to be sex. No doubt about that. It isn't a western RPG without at least one sex scene.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EliteWalrus

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 am

Izanagi_the fool wrote:
Oh there is definitely going to be sex. No doubt about that. It isn't a western RPG without at least one sex scene.
Well I hope I don't sound like a horn-dog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uberman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:32 am

I've already seen a screenshot of the main character kissing a woman. And if there's a 'Bond' style option, then getting some sweet undercover lovin' is pretty much mandatory.
Back to top Go down
Cupids_Hitman

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 pm

If there is no option to get with the ladies, this is the lamest spy game ever! Haha. To be a spy you must be able to seduce someone for information, so there HAS to be seduction or something along those lines. I would be very surprised if there isn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 pm

I think Alpha Protocol is going to be a sweet dark horse game. Looking forward to the gadgets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uberman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Sun May 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Got a copy of this and .... it's a bit disappointing.

The good - OK storyline and a real attempt at non-linearity. There are usually a couple of ways to approach your goal and conversations play out in real time (no pausing like Mass Effect to choose dialogue options) which keeps you on your toes and forces you to make quick decisions. Lots of decisions have real in-game effects so you feel the weight of your choices.

The bad - pretty ugly. I guess this game was in development too long and it shows in the graphics. Not that I'm a graphics whore, but it does let you down a bit. The gameplay is a bit clunky, OK for a staright RPG but as this is an action RPG with a heavy emphasis on 'action', it's a bit annoying. Too easy, at least on 'medium' - I don't feel like I really have to streamline my character to progress. My character is supposed to be a techie / hacker type guy. But he has no problem sneaking around and can hold his own in a stand-up gun fight. So the non-linearity goes out the window a bit when I have a character skilled enough to persue all options, rather than thinking 'OK, route A and B are out because I'd never make it with my skills, so I guess I'll look around for route C.'
Also the gadgets are shit - basically just grenades and mines.

In short this is a games that's shooting for a mix of RPG, Metal Gear type stealth and 3rd person 'Gears of War' style shooting. But it fails a little bit on all fronts. It's intriguing enough - I'll keep playing for now. But I think the saddest thing is how much potential this game had, and how it's fallen just a bit short.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:12 pm

I had a lot to say about this, so I wrote it up on the main site. READ AND BECOME EDUCATED !

http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alpha Protocol   

Back to top Go down

Alpha Protocol
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1