Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Halo: Reach

Go down 
+2
-drifter-
sexbad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sexbad

sexbad

Halo: Reach Empty
PostSubject: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 8:59 am

Is anyone actually following this? I'm not even sure. I think someone said it was released now. Does anyone here care?
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:31 am

I haven't cared about the Halo series since... Oh, wait, I never cared.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:15 pm

I played the beta, and my brother just bought it. I guess I will play it over the next couple days and get back to you guys

Halo is an awesome multiplayer FPS.

People who say it sucks because of the campaign (not pointing fingers at you drifter, promise) are dumb. That's like saying Super Smash Brothers sucks because of the campaign
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:49 pm

PunchFox wrote:
People who say it sucks because of the campaign (not pointing fingers at you drifter, promise) are dumb. That's like saying Super Smash Brothers sucks because of the campaign

No, it's not. Halo has a full-fledged campaign that they obviously put some time into, and one of the big selling points (or so I'm led to believe) is the "huge, epic story," so I think it's perfectly legitimate to criticize it in that regard. With that in mind, the characters are all one-dimensional and the writing is so awful it's a joke.

That's not to say I dislike the Halo games for their campaign alone. I never really understood all the hooplah about the multi-player either. It's always felt very dull to me, and I really hate how you can empty an entire clip into a person and have them not die, especially since all your work and ammo is wasted if they manage to avoid you for the few seconds it takes for shields to recharge.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 12:07 am

Drifter wrote:
That's not to say I dislike the Halo games for their campaign alone. I never really understood all the hooplah about the multi-player either. It's always felt very dull to me, and I really hate how you can empty an entire clip into a person and have them not die, especially since all your work and ammo is wasted if they manage to avoid you for the few seconds it takes for shields to recharge.
I'm the opposite. I think it makes it more exciting. The CoD style of gameplay (bang bang dead) is more realistic, but does not appeal to me.

I just find it aggravating, and puts more emphasis on competing raw reflexes, as opposed to strategy and teamwork (playing Halo by yourself is nowhere near as fun as with friends)
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 2:51 am

I'm not a big fan of Halo, neither am I a fan of sci-fi and futuristic movies, so my opinion is a little biased when I say that Halo sucks.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 4:02 am

PunchFox wrote:

I'm the opposite. I think it makes it more exciting. The CoD style of gameplay (bang bang dead) is more realistic, but does not appeal to me.

Nor I. However, I feel there can be a balance between having to empty 3 magazines into someone before they die, and insta-killing them if you so much as shoot their foot, which is why I like Bad Company 2. Killing someone requires a fair amount of ammo without being excessive (unless you hit the head, which is an insta-kill) and the game modes are all based around some level of strategy.

I almost wish I hadn't traded it in, but the money went towards Red Dead Redemption, so I can't feel too regretful.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 am

Drifter wrote:
PunchFox wrote:

Nor I. However, I feel there can be a balance between having to empty 3 magazines into someone before they die, and insta-killing them if you so much as shoot their foot, which is why I like Bad Company 2. Killing someone requires a fair amount of ammo without being excessive (unless you hit the head, which is an insta-kill) and the game modes are all based around some level of strategy.

I almost wish I hadn't traded it in, but the money went towards Red Dead Redemption, so I can't feel too regretful.
If you learn how, you can dispatch your opponents in minimal time. That's why I think Halo involves more strategy. There's actually a curve for figuring out how to kill your opponent in 5 seconds, as opposed to 15 seconds of chasing and possibly getting killed yourself.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 7:44 am

PunchFox wrote:
There's actually a curve for figuring out how to kill your opponent in 5 seconds, as opposed to 15 seconds of chasing and possibly getting killed yourself.

Yes, but most of those are largely looked down upon (such as the plasma pistol/battle rifle combo.)
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 8:36 am

Looked down on by who? The piss-poor jerkoffs who make up for their lack of skill by claiming everything is "cheap"?

Very few good players complain about weapon combos and tactics
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 11:25 am

PunchFox wrote:
Looked down on by who? The piss-poor jerkoffs who make up for their lack of skill by claiming everything is "cheap"?

Very few good players complain about weapon combos and tactics

Maybe it's just the people I always played with then.

Regardless, I've never enjoyed Halo, and can't imagine Reach will change my perceptions of the series much, as it just looks like more of the same.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 12:39 am

It's definitely more of the same, but they added a bunch too.

The weapon selection is a lot more "balanced". That is, you have more specialization in weapons, and I think (but don't quote me) the weapons that had functionality copied by new ones got nerfed in those aspects.

Also, you now have spawn load-outs (i forget what they actually call them and i am too lazy to go look it up). In certain (most) game types, you begin each spawn by choosing a special power. Off the top of my head, there's jet-pack, invisibility, sprint, dash-roll (Elites only), armor-lock (invincibility), and bubble shield. I may have missed one.

I'm not trying to say you might suddenly like it. It's old mechanics updated with new features.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 3:34 am

PunchFox wrote:

I hear you, but for people like me who are almost exclusively solo players, it does make a big impact. I've never liked Halo, but I do understand that this is for precisely this reason, and that most people who love the series seem to love it for the multiplayer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 am

If you just take the solo into account, then Halo is a good, but not special/spectacular game
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:00 am

Actually, if I only take the solo into account (at least for the first one), Halo is shit.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:01 am

It was, but I'm talking about it as a franchise.

Yet another case of the "better but worse" sequel

And of course, it figures that the one with the better of the stories had the undeveloped and imbalanced multiplayer (pistol fucking owned in multi).

Halo 2 multi was eh, but at least you had dual wielding, which was cool.

Halo 3 was great.

Halo Reach has no more dual wield, but it makes up for it with loadouts (and dual wield was sort of annoying in some ways too).

Also, Elites are fucking RIDICULOUS in legendary in Halo Reach.
Back to top Go down
grif264

grif264

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 9:36 am

Well I've had the game since the day it came out and I must say I"m very inmpressed withtthe level of content that was added.

Forge is ridiculisly better I've made epic maps incredibly quickly.

Firefight had been majorly improved.

The multiplayer is amazing as usual.

The campain had been improved significantly in my opinion including much larger scale battles.

Much better in my opinion however a bit similar to halo 3 on steroids.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 am

I dunno I think the campaign is much better then Halo 3's
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halo: Reach   Halo: Reach Empty

Back to top Go down