Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bulletstorm

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Bulletstorm Empty
PostSubject: Bulletstorm   Bulletstorm EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 2:54 am

If you aren't already aware, Bulletstorm is the new game from developer People Can Fly, most well known for Painkiller, a Serious Sam style shooter where you're given an arsenal of ridiculous weapons and must kill wave after wave of monsters. Bulletstorm's focus, however, is not so much on murdering tons of dudes as it is on murdering dudes in bloody and creative ways. While you can just shoot people with guns if your boring, you get more points for pulling them towards you with your energy-leash thing, kicking them in the face and sending them hurling into the nearest cactus patch. These points are then used to upgrade your weapons and such.

While it is refreshing to see a non-military shooter that isn't obsessed with the false pretense of "realism," I'm not convinced Bulletstorm is going to stay fresh. I've watched some game-play videos and it seems that, barring a few set piece moments and boss fights, lassoing people and kicking them into spike pits is about all you'll wind up doing, partly because it gives you the most points, and partly because there's really not much else to do besides just shooting them. Oh yeah, and the writing is awful too. I imagine most people probably don't care, but for me it's a bit of a deal breaker. Hearing someone scream "You nearly scared the dick off me!" tends to put me off.

But enough of my pessimism, what are your thoughts/expectations for Bulletsrorm :?:
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Bulletstorm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bulletstorm   Bulletstorm EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 6:11 am

I've looked at it a bit and in fact it's been a candidate for a RWEP video once I get making them again (hopefully this weekend).

The combo / points mechanic reminded me a little bit of The Club, another shooter that emphasised the style of shooting rather than just the shooting itself. For the record, I wasn't a huge fan of The Club.

I agree with you, in that it seems like the game is quite gimmicky. And gimmicky games tend to get real old real fast. But you never know, there could also be some solid game mechanics hiding underneath the gimmick. So I agree, I'm not exactly champing at the bit to get my hands on this one, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com

Bulletstorm
Page 1 of 1