Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Go down 
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Empty
PostSubject: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West   Enslaved: Odyssey to the West EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:21 am

I've been vaguely aware of Enslaved's existence for some time now, but despite the release of trailer after trailer and many an article, my feelings towards it were too apathetic to bother seeing what it was all about. Something about a post-apocalyptic world and having to protect some stupid cunt, that was the extent of my knowledge.

Not too long ago, though, I saw the demo on PSN and, having nothing better to do at the time, I downloaded it. The demo pushed the game from "Eh, maybe I'll look it up some time" territory to a day-one buy (that is, if the local video store actually has it on time, which I doubt.)

Game-play is divided mainly into platforming and combat sections. Platforming consists mostly of linear climbing sections, similar to Uncharted. They're un-challenging but still fun and smoothly animated, and there are a couple of pretty exhilarating moments where you're forced to move as fast as you can to avoid becoming a blood-smear on the side of a sky scraper.
Combat is fun and feels very solid if a bit clunky, and fights are usually over quickly so they don't become a nuisance.

I think what really made the game for me was the setting and artwork. The demo takes place on a really cool looking slaver airship that is about to crash. As it descends towards impact, you see the post-apocalyptic ruins of America passing beneath you. Unlike, say, every other post-apocalypse game, the world of Enslaved is not bleak and lifeless but lush and beautiful, with the urban landscape having been almost entirely reclaimed by nature.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Enslaved_Art1

Anyway, if you have PSN or X-Box live, you should definitely give this a try, and if you like it, maybe consider buying it instead of, say, Fallout New Vegas or CoD: Black Ops. The last thing the gaming industry needs is further proof to cement the belief that originality doesn't sell, and that all gamers want is more bland, same-y first person shooters.
Back to top Go down

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: Upcoming Games-
Jump to: