A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Open World vs Scripted

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Uberman
Admin

PostSubject: Open World vs Scripted   Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:07 pm

I love sandbox games. GTA, Mercenaries, Just Cause etc etc etc. I love the freedom, I love being able to tackle problem however I choose. I love being able to find / do things that perhaps even the developers hadn't intended.

However, the downside of open games is that they tend to have less 'wow' moments, where you're really knocked off your feet. In a scripted game it's easier for the developers to know where you'll be at any given time and where you'll be looking. So they can produce scripted events that are far more cinematic and controlled than what you can engineer for players of open world games.

So it's Final Fantasy and Heavy Rain on the scripted side, versus games like Just Cause 2 and GTA on the open world side. Which would you rather play ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:21 am

I like a scripted game as long as it is not restrictively linear like the Call of Duty series or Half-Life 2, but I also like open world games so long as the atmosphere is not neglected, as in Far Cry 2 or Fallout 3 where everything looks the same over and over again. My ideal game would be something that allows for no restriction on choice, even if it's just in a few aspects, such as taking down enemies. To stealth or run and gun, to kill or disarm or incapacitate, even in a linear FPS would work, so long as such choices would have consequences. Not just go from point A to point B, kill they ass, and then press the magical plot-continuing button hidden somewhere disguised as a ridiculously easy "puzzle."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:44 pm

I think a combination of the two would probably be best.

However, I also think that scripted is better for Single-Player/Campaign, whereas Open-World would be better for Multiplayer.

Open-World with a few scripted moments is also really good - the Grand Theft Auto franchise does it really well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
interlider

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:05 pm

I personally like Open World games better. Yes, it is harder for programmers to give you a purpose and the story has to be much more complicated in order to keep the game alive during the single player campaign. Games like GTA have been pioneers in adding the extra 'storyline' spice to the game in a way never done before in the genre. Moreover, and also being a worshiper of RTS games, open world gives me something I always felt lacking in scripted RPGs and adventure games: the ability to really fully manage my resources at my own pace, at my own will, the way I really want to.

As a true example of what I mean, and the current epitome of my argument so far, GTA IV (haven't played Red Redemption yet, no PC version sux...) has brought to the Open World genre a real feel of how it is to fully customize your quest. In the end, the game looks scripted in a sense, considering that you don't have much to do in the vast open world that was written past the main storyline, which only furtherly reenforces my argument: being Open World still allowed the developers to give it a beginning and an end, making a story you can follow till the end.

I'm looking forward to more games like that, that can allow me to customize my story, do the quest I so choose to, manage my resources and therefore keep me hooked into it while I solve a linear story with no scripted steps.

~IntEr
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:39 am

Guys:

There's more than one game in the world. X game technique vs Y game technique is a silly discussion, because you can just go get a game with X technique and a game with Y technique and enjoy them both or just enjoy each one when you're in the mood for them.
Back to top Go down
interlider

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:33 am

art wrote:
Guys:

There's more than one game in the world. X game technique vs Y game technique is a silly discussion, because you can just go get a game with X technique and a game with Y technique and enjoy them both or just enjoy each one when you're in the mood for them.

I have to agree: depending on several conditions I may want to play one game or another. Even the human factor, like having friends hanging on game 'a' may make me try it and even like it - while hanging with them.

Then again, I do have a preference when it comes to single player which is the general rule of thumb for me. More about this in my previous post =P

~IntEr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uberman
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Really, GTA IV ? If anything, I felt this to be a fairly weak example of the genre. In that :

1. There wasn't much to do apart from the story missions. Except for dealing with your needy friends, which wasn't that enjoyable once the initial novelty wore off. Sure, I like the fact that if there's a dart board in a bar, you can actually go up to it and play darts, but being forced to in order for someone to keep selling you weapons or whatever ? Nah.
I think the game made a pretty big concession to this by giving you 'warp' taxis, meaning you didn't even have to travel from place to place if you didn't want to. It was a big, pretty city, but I didn't feel much compelling me to explore it.

2. The story missions were very tightly scripted, despite sometimes appearing not to be. Sure, road chases could take you randomly all over the map, but that was about it. I had real problems with the final mission and due to a lack of checkpoints, played it a whole bunch of times as I constanly fucked it up. Let me tell you, everything in that mission was scripted from where and when enemies would pop up to where vehicles would drive.

Don't get me wrong, I liked GTA IV, but more as just a a 3rd person action game. I got more of a sense of 'world' and freedom from GTA:SA
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:09 am

I am hoping one day for a 3D game that is as extensive as text-based adventure games in that if there's a stick on the ground you can kick it, pick it up, throw it, use it as a weapon, roast it over a fire and eat it, or just stick it in your back pocket and run around screaming "Whee, look at me, I'm exploring an open world!"

The IDEA of an open world game excites me because there are things that I just can not possibly do, like blow out the wall of a bank and rob it in order to buy a helicopter and drop pennies from it just to piss people off

But even scripted games can capture the "do whatever you want" mentality. Just look at Metal Gear Solid. It's so jam-packed with cool easter eggs that it's impossible to find all of them in one playthrough without a guide, and there are an infinite number of ways to attack any situation. I'm talking old school, PS1 Metal Gear... not the current "GET AN AK-47 AND FUCK SNEAKING LOL" type Metal Gear games.

The MGS1 torture scene is the perfect example of this. There are at least 4 ways to break out of prison.
1. Give in to the torture and give the information.
2. Hide under the bed in your jail cell and wait for the soldier to unlock the gate to check it out, then crawl out and bop him.
3. Get the bottle of Ketchup, spread it on the floor, and lay down on it so the soldier thinks your dead. When he comes in to retrieve the body, snap his neck and run.
4. Wait for rescue.

What you do in this scene even decides who lives and who dies at the end of the game.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:07 am

I personally always liked open-world games...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Open World vs Scripted   

Back to top Go down

Open World vs Scripted
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1