A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Fallout 3 Mod

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Fallout 3 Mod   Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:00 pm

So, I'm going to start getting into modding, because there's a mod I really want made, and I think I'm going to have to do it myself.

If you want to read about my mod idea, click the spoiler. If not, skip it and just read the text below.

click here to read long ass explanation:
 

Any way, I've got some serious learning to do before I tackle this. I'll keep you posted on the mod's progress. In the mean time, feel free to post any good mods you use (or have used) or would like to see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
art

avatar

Posts : 134
Join date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 am

boooooooooooo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:48 am

Right on topic as always, I see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:18 am

A little concept art.



It's rough, I know, but I don't have a scanner so I have to do my drawing on the computer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
art

avatar

Posts : 134
Join date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 am

go play fallout 2

boooooooooooooooooooooo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:48 am


"I will, but it's because I want to."

Seriously though, I'm not trying to make Fallout 3 into Fallout 2, I'm just trying to bring back the atmosphere and the things about it that worked. There were a lot of changes that Bethesda made that just don't make sense. Why is the sky suddenly green? Why is power armor so crap? Why did super mutants go from a highly intelligent race (or at least, equally intelligent as humans) to a crazed bunch of murderous retards? Why do raiders wear such exceptionally stupid outfits and kill everyone they come across (and how do they get new recruits, for that matter?) The list goes on.

As for that whole "map screen" thing, I already gave my reasons for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
art

avatar

Posts : 134
Join date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:40 am

Drifter wrote:

"I will, but it's because I want to."

Seriously though, I'm not trying to make Fallout 3 into Fallout 2, I'm just trying to bring back the atmosphere and the things about it that worked. There were a lot of changes that Bethesda made that just don't make sense. Why is the sky suddenly green? Why is power armor so crap? Why did super mutants go from a highly intelligent race (or at least, equally intelligent as humans) to a crazed bunch of murderous retards? Why do raiders wear such exceptionally stupid outfits and kill everyone they come across (and how do they get new recruits, for that matter?) The list goes on.

As for that whole "map screen" thing, I already gave my reasons for that.

different location, develops at a different rate, affected differently

variety is the spice of life, changing things is good for the future, if they didn't change anything they'd only attract the initial fanbase and nobody else
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:42 am

Even without changing the afore mentioned things, it'd still be a very different game. In all honesty, though, what's it to you? No one's going to force you to download the mod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:39 pm



Leather armor concept (not to be confused with the leather jacket.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uberman
Admin
avatar

Posts : 708
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:18 am

I love sandboxes, all sandboxes. So this probably wouldn't be for me.

That said, Godspeed in your endeavour. How hard is it to do this ? It's something a non-technical guy like myself couldn't even imagine tackling.

I don't know much about modding, but I know

www.rockpapershotgun.com

has a weekly mod spot. It might be worth looking at their forums as well, see if there's anyone with any good advice to give.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:34 am

Considering that there are very few mods that change the game up this much, I'm imagining quite hard. I definitely look forward to starting work on this mod, though. Lately I've been pre-occupied with trying to get a job and playing Fallout: New Vegas, so in the mean time I'll just keep working on concept art and thinking up ideas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:25 am

Figured I'd redo my leather jacket concepts to make them a little less... crappy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:36 am

Hmmm, maybe posting a largely black image against a very dark background wasn't the best idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
art

avatar

Posts : 134
Join date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:17 am

all dickery aside, are you truly capable of something of this scale? It's one thing to WANT something, but as I have experienced multiple times you might not be able to ever finish it.

And even if you do, you may be the only one who plays it. Face facts, bro, New Vegas is out. It'll take at most six more months before everyone stops caring about Fallout 3 entirely. It uses the same engine and everything, so there's no reason for modders with money or piracy skills to stick around Fallout 3.

There's also going to be another Fallout game released within two years, and if your mod isn't done by then then nobody will play it.

I'll tell you right here and now, developing a game (or mod for a game) that only you will play is a sad endeavor. You need to develop for an audience or you might as well be sitting in a corner playing with your dick. It's the same thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sexbad

avatar

Posts : 504
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 23
Location : inside you

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 am

Playing your dick has a better reward too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 am

Balls to you all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MortalWombat

avatar

Posts : 243
Join date : 2010-03-02
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:58 pm

/supportgroupcheer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uberman
Admin
avatar

Posts : 708
Join date : 2010-03-01
Age : 40

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:50 am

artevoire wrote:
Face facts, bro, New Vegas is out. It'll take at most six more months before everyone stops caring about Fallout 3 entirely.

I disagree with this. Games find certain audiences. You're right in that the casual fan will just play it and then move on. But any game of quality usually finds a pretty hard-core fan base. Hell, there are still people playing and modding Counter-Strike. Now that's an extreme example, but I still think that caertain people keep the flame alight. And this is probably your target audience anyways, as casual fans wont bother frigging around with mods for a game.

I say if you (Drifter) are interested enough to do it, then I'd be surprised if there weren't also other people interested enough to play it.

However, I do agree with Art in that it seems to be a pretty massive endeavour you're undertaking.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
art

avatar

Posts : 134
Join date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 am

Uberman wrote:
artevoire wrote:
Face facts, bro, New Vegas is out. It'll take at most six more months before everyone stops caring about Fallout 3 entirely.

I disagree with this. Games find certain audiences. You're right in that the casual fan will just play it and then move on. But any game of quality usually finds a pretty hard-core fan base. Hell, there are still people playing and modding Counter-Strike. Now that's an extreme example, but I still think that caertain people keep the flame alight. And this is probably your target audience anyways, as casual fans wont bother frigging around with mods for a game.

I say if you (Drifter) are interested enough to do it, then I'd be surprised if there weren't also other people interested enough to play it.

However, I do agree with Art in that it seems to be a pretty massive endeavour you're undertaking.


What kind of experience do you have with modding communities?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 am

I admit, I sometimes make big plans for projects that fall through. I'm a little overly ambitious. And that could well happen this time around. I'll do my best to force myself to go through with it, but you never know.

In the mean time though, I have to ask (to art[evoire{what a twat name}]): Why are you trying to convince me not to bother?

Way I see it, If it doesn't turn out, so be it, but it's not going to hurt anyone to try. The benefits of success (programming experience, an awesome mod, etc.) far outweigh the penalties of failure (some wasted time, not that I'm using my time that constructively these days anyway.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
art

avatar

Posts : 134
Join date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:03 am

Drifter wrote:
I admit, I sometimes make big plans for projects that fall through. I'm a little overly ambitious. And that could well happen this time around. I'll do my best to force myself to go through with it, but you never know.

In the mean time though, I have to ask (to art[evoire{what a twat name}]): Why are you trying to convince me not to bother?

Way I see it, If it doesn't turn out, so be it, but it's not going to hurt anyone to try. The benefits of success (programming experience, an awesome mod, etc.) far outweigh the penalties of failure (some wasted time, not that I'm using my time that constructively these days anyway.)

You'd be a lot better off doing it in FALLOUT NEW VEGAS but whatevs bro

whatevs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
-drifter-

avatar

Posts : 543
Join date : 2010-07-03
Age : 25
Location : British Columbia, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

I was actually considering that instead. It'd certainly be a little easier from an artistic standpoint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3 Mod   

Back to top Go down
 
Fallout 3 Mod
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Fallout:NV favorite weapons
» Fallout Warfare
» Fallout New vegas
» Fallout New Vegas Mods
» (SOLVED) Visual C++ runtime error, not letting me play Fallout New Vegas

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: Released Games-
Jump to: