Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Red Faction: Armageddon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sexbad

sexbad

Red Faction: Armageddon Empty
PostSubject: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 6:58 am

new Red Faction game yes
None of the games in the series are good, but the two that I've played (the original and Guerrilla) are pretty damn fun. This one is linear and takes place underground like the original but is still focused on third person sledgehammering of man-made structures like Guerrilla, which is a pretty neat combo (except for the third person, but it works better that way with melee). I'm interested in how this will turn out.

also it has a fucking magnet gun thing

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjxMuMOH08s
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIU5pFIwpWo
Back to top Go down
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 pm

I remember playing the original when I was 7, I got up to the bit in the tutorial where you blow up a section of the wall. I accidentally placed it in the wrong place ("Oops.") and when I blew it up it left a hole :O I was pretty amazed and used up all the C4 blowing holes in everything but the objective.
("Cool story, Hansel" - Shut up cunt, let me finish)

So naturally, I have very fond memories of Red Faction, even though Guerrilla was a bit 'eh'.
It's nice that Armageddon is underground again, but the new horror/survival aspect just seems out of place. It seems like horror game with destructive elements rather than a Red Faction game with a scary (?) aspect. Hope it turns out well though.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Wait, this is supposed to be a horror game?

FreeSpace was pretty serious gaems, but that's the darkest thing Volition has ever made. I doubt it will be scary.
Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 6:52 am

delete thread plz
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 am

art wrote:
delete thread plz

Delete post please.
Back to top Go down
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Sauteed Pig Testicles wrote:
Wait, this is supposed to be a horror game?
I hope not, but the trailer seems very much in line with general horror games.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 am

Well, it probably has horror content like Quake 4 or something. Like there's some zombies and big monsters, but it's not horror. I found Q4 kinda fun anyway.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:23 am

I really wanted to like the last Red Faction game, but didn't.

I don't know, the name doesn't exactly sell for me. The fact that it's Red Faction means nothing to me - just if it's a good game or not. The first game (an the second, kind of) really sold themselves on destructable environments. But that's becoming the norm rather than something special, look at Mercenaries 2, Just Cause 2 etc. So they're going to have to bring something else to the table to sell it, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
art

art

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:23 am

Ignore everything about Red Faction Guerrilla except for its only selling point: destruction

They were selling it on the ability for the player to just barbarically destroy every building he sees for no apparent reason, and they were wise to do that because that's the only enjoyable part of the game.

Stop pretending the story wasn't tacked on just so the game would be goal oriented and not become boring in fifteen minutes.

I swear.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:41 am

I don't think anyone is pretending about the story. It is pretty shit.
Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 am

For the most part, yes. I did really like the part near the middle of the game when someone said "Mason will give his LIFE for Red Faction" and he literally stops, stares at her and says "now hold on a minute"
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 1:47 am

artevoire wrote:

For the most part, yes. I did really like the part near the middle of the game when someone said "Mason will give his LIFE for Red Faction" and he literally stops, stares at her and says "now hold on a minute"
Now that I remember it, that part was pretty neat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Faction: Armageddon   Red Faction: Armageddon Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Faction: Armageddon
Page 1 of 1