Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Red Ring of Oh Fuck

Go down 
+2
herman the german
Uberman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

The Red Ring of Oh Fuck Empty
PostSubject: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:35 pm

GODDAMNIT !

My XBOX has decided to commit suicide. It's about 3.5 years old and has already been repaired by Microsoft once. Since then I've never used it without having my aircon on and a fan directed at it in order to attempt to keep it cool. So I probably bought myself some time, but eventually it just popped, as these things inevitably do.

You could have an original NES that still works today. I have a seven year old PS2 that, while a bit hinky, still works.

GOD DAMN YOUR SHITTY PRODUCT, MICROSOFT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
herman the german

herman the german

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Mines about 4 years old, got the red ring a few months ago, Microsoft took it, sent me a new console within a week, cleaned my disk, gave me a month free xbox live membership and an apolagetic letter. Dont know what all the fuss is about, Microsoft seem to be dealing with it well imho.
Back to top Go down
Bing2590

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Quote :
Dont know what all the fuss is about, Microsoft seem to be dealing with it well imho.

That's because it's been happening so much! Mine's died twice now but the month of live does make up for it :P

Even EB Games or places like that won't let you trade in your Xbox 360 if it's the 2006 model since those ones got it so much.
Back to top Go down
D.W.

D.W.

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Bought an 360 once it had the RROD when I bought it, I took back to the clerk he told me fuck you, and I just throwed it away, and went to buy computer upgrades and became a PC gamer.
Back to top Go down
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 am

D.W. wrote:
Bought an 360 once it had the RROD when I bought it, I took back to the clerk he told me fuck you, and I just throwed it away, and went to buy computer upgrades and became a PC gamer.

That's because he probably gets tons of people coming to him with RRoD's. You're not supposed to take it to the shop you got it from, you're supposed to send it to Microsoft.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 am

Yeah the whole Red Ring of Death business is what kept me from getting a Xbox in the first place, and MortalWombat, are you by any chance also on Cracked.com forums?
Back to top Go down
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am

Infant Shaker wrote:
Yeah the whole Red Ring of Death business is what kept me from getting a Xbox in the first place, and MortalWombat, are you by any chance also on Cracked.com forums?

Sorry, nope.

Btw, Uberman, they've changed the 360 models since launch to counter the RRoD problem. Original models have a RRoD chance of around 30%. The post 07 models have a falcon chip or something (I forget) which reduce the change to 12-15%. The post 09 models (also known as Jasper) have a 65nm GPU and CPU which use less energy and produce less heat (and are cheaper too, which is why they could afford to cut prices) and reduce the RRoD chance even further to 3-5%, which is less than both the Wii and the PS3. Doesn't mean you still can't get RRoD though :(

Last edited by MortalWombat on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 6:29 am

Sorry Wombat, I saw a person on there with a very similar name.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 9:39 pm

MortalWombat wrote:
Infant Shaker wrote:

Sorry, nope.

Btw, Uberman, they've changed the 360 models since launch to counter the RRoD problem. Original models have a RRoD chance of around 30%. The post 07 models have a falcon chip or something (I forget) which reduce the change to 12-15%. The post 09 models (also known as Jasper) have a 65nm GPU and CPU which use less energy and produce less heat (and are cheaper too, which is why they could afford to cut prices) and reduce the RRoD chance even further to 3-5%, which is less than both the Wii and the PS3. Doesn't mean you still can't get RRoD though :(

Yeah, when I got my machine fixed the first time, two years ago, it was somehow 'upgraded' in some mystical way. Perhaps they put more insulation around the core of molten magma which can be the only explanation of how hot the fucker gets. So I got two years out of it, but now obviously it's kaput again.

I'll know in the next couple of days if it can be fixed locally (not Microsoft office here, going with cowboys instead). But yeah, if it's out for good then I'll just get a new one. More expensive than a fix, but might just be better in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I bit the bullet and bought a new XBOX.

Oh well. The last one was over three years old and deemed unfixable. It was a bastard to run games (I think the laser was going) and after one Microsoft repair and two failed cowboy repair attempts, I have decided to simply retire the poor thing.

My NEW box is all clean and shiny, and I have already made love to it twice. I am told it has a 'Jasper' board which is more durable and less likely to red ring.

So I finally got to play a little Just Cause 2 and was suitably impressed. Expect opinions on various things soon. I'M BACK, BABY !
Back to top Go down
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Uberman wrote:
I bit the bullet and bought a new XBOX.

Oh well. The last one was over three years old and deemed unfixable. It was a bastard to run games (I think the laser was going) and after one Microsoft repair and two failed cowboy repair attempts, I have decided to simply retire the poor thing.

My NEW box is all clean and shiny, and I have already made love to it twice. I am told it has a 'Jasper' board which is more durable and less likely to red ring.

So I finally got to play a little Just Cause 2 and was suitably impressed. Expect opinions on various things soon. I'M BACK, BABY !

Maybe the Just Cause was so awesome it caused your old Xbox to spontaneously combust
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm

I kinda regret getting a PS3 now, all my buddies pretty much have 360's, the RROD scared me away from them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:29 am

I really REALLY badly want to play Tales of Vesperia, which I have finally managed to actually find in a local store (it's hard as hell, you wouldn't even believe it) but my Xbox 360 is getting loud and starting to worry me, and Tales of Vesperia is a pretty intense game.

I wish the 360 wasn't such a fickle, worthless console.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Red Ring of Oh Fuck   The Red Ring of Oh Fuck Empty

Back to top Go down

The Red Ring of Oh Fuck
Page 1 of 1