Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What's your favourite game?

Go down 
+10
devil1337
AHungryTurtle
D.W.
Infant Shaker
Andrew
MeisterKleister
herman the german
sexbad
Uberman
MortalWombat
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

What's your favourite game? Empty
PostSubject: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Mine is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
I've always been a huge GTA fan. I know that San Andreas doesn't have the best graphics, or sound, or the smoothest gameplay, but it is just SO GODDAMN FUN! I've poured in over 200hours into that game (yes I'm serious). I appreciate graphics and all, but when you get a quality product like SA, man, you don't even care about other new release games.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 7:06 pm

GTA:SA is also one of mine. I was obsessed iwth it when it first came out, played it rabidly until I finished it.

So many games. I'm not sure I can pick a single one. But the first game that had a heavy, heavy impression on me was an old RPG called 'Bloodnet'.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/201/BloodNet.html

It's a bit rough in this day and age, the combat is clunky, the inventory system is a pain in the ass.

But it was also dark, gritty, incredibly atmospheric and really well written. It was adult, it didn't talk down to the players or treat them like children. It had some truly difficult (but fair) puzzles. It was kind of like playing a novel, I thought at the time. It was possibly the first game that gave me an idea of what games could be and how sophisticated they would eventually become.

As an aside - why aren't there more cyberpunk games ? Such an awesome, under-used setting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Phantom Brave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4djOPHAoCD8

Following that:
Mirror's Edge
Red Faction Guerrilla
F.E.A.R.
Bioshock
Fallout 3
Majesty
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Phantom Brave ! Right on !

It's actually not one of my favourites, but I love the Nippon Ichi games. I prefer Disgaea 1 + 2 personally, and am currently working through Disgaea 2 on my PSP. I also liked La Pucelle. I think it's because I prefer grids to free roaming movement. But yeah, nice call on Phantom Brave !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Uberman wrote:
Phantom Brave ! Right on !

It's actually not one of my favourites, but I love the Nippon Ichi games. I prefer Disgaea 1 + 2 personally, and am currently working through Disgaea 2 on my PSP. I also liked La Pucelle. I think it's because I prefer grids to free roaming movement. But yeah, nice call on Phantom Brave !

I liked Phantom Brave because of the "pick up anything, throw anything, stack anything, use anything as a weapon" gimmick

There's nothing more fun than whacking a rabbit with a cactus... besides, perhaps, whacking a cactus with a rabbit.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 1:53 am

FreeSpace 2
or anything in the FreeSpace series

It's also tied with Penumbra, which I can count as a game even though it's a series because it's episodic.
Back to top Go down
herman the german

herman the german

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, i'm probably going to be the only one to say this - But Star Wars Battlefront 1. Some better AI, a larger on screen unit count and some better maps, and id give my soul for that game. I think there are loads of under rated games on previous gen consoles, I mean, games like Medal of honour frontline physically pumped adrenaline, and games like Rouge Squadron were a blast on co-op.

Also, Stronghold 1 and Crusader, and perhaps the upcoming Kingdoms of which i'm an alpha tester. SH 2 and Legends are giant shit piles though.
Back to top Go down
MeisterKleister

MeisterKleister

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 7:14 am

Absolute favorite game would be Metal Gear Solid 2 for me. I played it so many times.

Uberman wrote:
As an aside - why aren't there more cyberpunk games ? Such an awesome, under-used setting.
My guess is that it's much harder to make a cyperpunk game in modern 3D graphics because it's hard to make future cities and futuristic devices not look odd.
Have you played Snatcher?
Awesome Cyberpunk game with great story. Plays like a movie.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 5:41 pm

Snatcher ? Good call, some old-school gaming right there.

Also, the old Neuromancer adventure game. Beneath a Steel Sky (kind of). Uh ... the original System Shock I guess, as it had hacking / cyberspace elements. The old Shdowrun RPGs. And that's about all I can come up with off the top of my head. A deeply underused genre.
Back to top Go down
Andrew

Andrew

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Deus Ex.

I like games that include morality choices and choices that actually affect gameplay. I remember first getting Deus Ex, playing through it for a solid week trying to find every choice that would affect the game, came back five years later and ran through it for old times sake and found a new choice to be made [ discovering you can save JC's brother Paul in his apartment ]. That is a quality game. Five years later it still impresses.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 am

Legend of Dragoon. It's a very old RPG (released somewhere in 2000) PS1 game, and it certainly one of the most memorable. I remember the game came on 4 discs and took me forever to complete.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 12:39 am

Infant Shaker wrote:
Legend of Dragoon.

Was that the one where you could transform into a different form for super attacks ? I think I remember it.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 am

Uberman wrote:
Infant Shaker wrote:
Legend of Dragoon.

Was that the one where you could transform into a different form for super attacks ? I think I remember it.

Yeah, each character had a "dragoon form" which you would get for each character as the game progress or sometimes you'd have to find it, it would turn the character into a half dragon half human sort of thing, and you'd have more options for attacks and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
D.W.

D.W.

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 pm

My favorite game was Yoshi's Story it was fun and cool on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I love platformers.
Back to top Go down
AHungryTurtle

AHungryTurtle

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 6:23 pm

I cant say I've ever had a favourite, although these'd be my top 'classic games' that I played when I was younger...

1. Time Splitters 2 - Best. Ever. First FPS I ever played, and is still AMAZING
2. Super Mario Brothers (NES) - Well, what else can I say?
3. Time Splitters 3 - It was kinda like TS2, but better graphics etc, still on my old PS2 :)

Now, I guess it'd be
BFBC2, CoD4, and the L4D series :D
Back to top Go down
devil1337

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Gothic 2 and Diablo 2 are my favorite games, if I were to consider the hours spent playing them.

I have yet to see a better atmosphere and story for a game since Gothic 2 (although Mafia comes really close). That game made we want to play as much as possible from level 1 throughout the entire story. I couldn't get bored of it at all. I think I finished it about 5 times, and if you've played it once you know that's a lot of time spent.

Diablo 2 was incredible as well. I just loved playing it, even in single player before I got internet. And after some good mods were released a few years back it became interesting again.

Mafia is a really awesome game as well. It was like the GTA series, but a much better atmosphere, graphics and gameplay. It was really awesome when it came out and when I played it again this year, I can't believe how innovative it was for when it was launched. Pure genius.

As far as the newer games come, my favorites are

1. Fallout 3 ( finished all the expansions and the game twice, one time without mods and one time with mods)
2. Dragon Age : Origins ( finished it 3 times, the last time was because of the new expansion)
3. GTA 4 ( there's so much to do and so many mods it's hard to get bored of it)
4. Just Cause 2 ( a really incredible game, but it lacks the atmosphere and story imo)
Back to top Go down
EpicBox

EpicBox

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 5:11 am

My top 10

10. Resident Evil (GC)
9. LittleBigPlanet
8. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Spider-Man 2
6. XIII
5. LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
4. Resident Evil 4 - Wii Edition
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2. Just Cause 2
1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 pm

EpicBox wrote:

6. XIII

From the PS2 ? Interesting. Tell me more.

I liked the presentation but found it to be very by-the-numbers in terms of actual gameplay.
Back to top Go down
EpicBox

EpicBox

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 am

XIII is just kick-ass all round. It's an innovative shooter, and you don't get a lot of those. It's been a few years since I've played it, and I don't have it anymore. I know somewhere cheap where I can buy it, but my PS2 is old and is very picky about disc condition. I'm trying to find it on Gamecube so I can play it on my Wii.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 am

I have decided to make a list of my ten favorite and most influential (to myself) games (in no particular order):
Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun (and its expansion firestorm), Mirror's Edge, Phantom Brave, F.E.A.R. (and all expansions, but NOT FEAR 2), Tales of Vesperia, Knytt Stories, N Game, Halo CE/PC, Maple Story (sadly enough) and Pokemon Emerald Version (yes, that specific version)
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 am

D.W. wrote:
My favorite game was Yoshi's Story it was fun and cool on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I love platformers.
Are you sure you don't mean the N64? Coincidentally, look down at my "Nostalgia" category.

Favorite games overall:
- Okami
- Fable
- LoZ: The Wind Waker
- Fable 2

I love story driven, large, long-running adventure games with tons of shit to explore and do. Action Adventure is probably my favorite genre. I'd have thrown Borderlands into the mix, but I mainly played the PC version, and that thing was WAY too buggy to warrant being in any favorites list. If I had played the Xbox version, my opinion might be different.

Nostalgia favorites:
- Yoshi's Story (N64)
- Jazz Jackrabbit (PC/MSDOS)
- Tyrian (PC/MSDOS)

Also, may as well mention that for multiplayer fun, SSBM is postively tops. My friends and I play it all the time. Or at least did when we were still in college. We were all insanely good, and our battles were crazy as fuck.

I have tons of games that I loved, but then the list would go on forever, so I trimmed it down to a few games that have really stuck with me

Last edited by PunchFox on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added Tyrian)
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:11 am

I don't really favor any one game over all others, but here are a few of my favorites:

-Sacrifice
-Beyond Good and Evil
-Diablo 2
-Disciples 2
-Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

Disciples 2, while a good game, mainly gets a mention because of the scenario editor. I spent more in it than the actual game.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 7:18 am

I would like to add Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to my list
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
Saithis

Saithis

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Alone.
Dark room, during the night.
Headphones on.
Boot up Amnesia: Dark Descent.

I guarantee you will cower in fear, if not scream like a girl, if not hide under your desk.

Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Saithis wrote:
Alone.
Dark room, during the night.
Headphones on.
Boot up Amnesia: Dark Descent.

I guarantee you will cower in fear, if not scream like a girl, if not hide under your desk.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your favourite game?   What's your favourite game? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your favourite game?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next