Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? Empty
PostSubject: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 4:07 am

So, do you personally care about Achivements and throphies? I am one of those persons that replay games I hardly like in order to win some throphies. I really dont know why. I guess it gives a feeling of acomplishment. For me anyways.

So, your thoughts about them?
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

I rarely enjoy achievement hunting. I don't see why you need a badge to say that you finished level X or got X kills. It seems like a chore simply to work for those things.

Achievements shouldn't just die out though. There are some times where they're really interesting and provide things to do. A good example is Valve. Half-Life 2: Episode Two's achievement "Rocket Man" where you keep a lawn gnome with you throughout the entire game and launch him into space, or Portal's "Transmission Received," where you do weird shit with hidden radios (I haven't done this one yet).

There are also genres where there simply shouldn't be any achievements at all. For instance, horror games. It would be immersion breaking to metagame in Amnesia to try to complete it without using any tinder or lamp oil.
Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 6:51 am

I hate all video games
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 8:16 am

art should be banned sometime
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 3:52 pm

art wrote:
I hate all video games

You enjoy playing them, you hate them all... Make up your damn mind.

Also, I feel basically the same as Sexbad the Wii Fat's Pig Testacles, but perhaps a little more extreme. It's nice for a game to acknowledge when you do something cool, and on occasion they can be fun to try after, but most of the time I just don't see the point. You're wasting hours of you life on some meaningless accomplishment, and your only reward is a virtual trophy that has no value or purpose. All it signifies is that you have a lot of free time on your hands and possibly OCD.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 12:12 am

I got an XBox with codblops for Saturday. I got an achievement for watching the Pentagon cutscene.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:34 am

I think achievements are good for people who have relatively few games. I don't usually play games once I've finished them as I usually have another game standing by that I'm waiting to play. But if you only have a couple of titles they're a good incentive to go back and replay them.

Also, for me, there are two types of achievements.

1. The Bad. These are achievements for doing shit you were going to do anyway. Like finishing the tutorial, or passing a certain level.

2. The Good. These are achievements for playing the game in a certain way. The first Call of Juarez game had some good examples of this (despite not being a great game). Things like shooting hats off peoples heads and things like that. Things that encourage you to look at the game in more detail, find easter eggs and so on.

I also like games that tie echievements in to actual gameplay awards. Like the hunting and so on in Red Dead Redemption or the upgrade system in the latest Spiderman game. So not just meaningless points on a scoreboard, but tangible benefits. That turns me on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
art

art

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 8:21 am

Dates back to PS2 era and earlier where you had to "achieve" shit to unlock shit, especially in fighting games

had to beat the game with character X to get character Y

there are very few unlockables in today's day and age
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 4:16 am

I agree with the Uberman, its not good that games give you a throphie for every level you complete. I like what call of duty does, you have to complete a level on the HARD difficulty to get a throphie. Cant say I understood what you said about the hunting in Red dead, since I havent played it.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 4:18 am

Drifter wrote:
art wrote:
I hate all video games

You enjoy playing them, you hate them all... Make up your damn mind.

Also, I feel basically the same as Sexbad the Wii Fat's Pig Testacles, but perhaps a little more extreme. It's nice for a game to acknowledge when you do something cool, and on occasion they can be fun to try after, but most of the time I just don't see the point. You're wasting hours of you life on some meaningless accomplishment, and your only reward is a virtual trophy that has no value or purpose. All it signifies is that you have a lot of free time on your hands and possibly OCD.

Cant say I disagree, but you could say that about....gaming at all really. You know what they say about time you enjoy wasting....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?   Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn? Empty

Back to top Go down

Trophies/Achivements- do you give a damn?
Page 1 of 1