Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Alan Wake has 9 characters

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sexbad

sexbad

Alan Wake has 9 characters Empty
PostSubject: Alan Wake has 9 characters   Alan Wake has 9 characters EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 9:54 pm

It came with my 360 when I got it for Christmas. I was interested in it and thought it could be one of the few good Xbox-exclusive games I've heard of.

It's not. So far, I think for three out of eight chapters, it's been shining your flashlight at enemies and then shooting them a few times. There's little challenge to it and it's not scary.

It also has a tendency of telling you everything. It will sharply jerk control away from you to show you that an enemy spawned on the other side of the area you're currently in. It also loves to narrate (because, you know, books and stuff), so sometimes along with you already seeing the inconsequential monster, it will move over to emphasize the monster and narrate that "I then saw a spooky monster."

Unless you have a great fear of spooky forests, it probably won't do much for you.
Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake has 9 characters   Alan Wake has 9 characters EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 am

just because it's not scary doesn't mean it's a bad game
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake has 9 characters   Alan Wake has 9 characters EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 am

It also has an uninteresting story and, so far, the same single gameplay element. There was this one time where you ran over the monsters in a pickup truck but it wasn't that entertaining.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: It had a fun rwep video   Alan Wake has 9 characters EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 3:34 am

Ive never been interrested in the game.

Isnt it one of those game you have to BUY the ending to? As in it ends with a twist and then the rest of the game is DLC? But I honestly dont know anythyng really.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake has 9 characters   Alan Wake has 9 characters EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 4:32 am

I don't think there's any DLC. It is episodic, so there's definitely the possibility that it would lead to DLC, but I haven't seen any ads anywhere for any DLC for Alan Wake.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake has 9 characters   Alan Wake has 9 characters EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 5:42 am

sexbad the bangbarian wrote:
I don't think there's any DLC. It is episodic, so there's definitely the possibility that it would lead to DLC, but I haven't seen any ads anywhere for any DLC for Alan Wake.

There's DLC.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1127375p1.html

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1108147p1.html
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake has 9 characters   Alan Wake has 9 characters EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 am

Yeah, there's DLC but you don't need it, the story resolves itself with what you get on the disc.

I liked it. I hear you when you say its pretty much banking on one single gameplay mechanic (the flashlight), but to me it worked. I found it to be atmospheric, and I liked the story too. I even liked the story pages you pick up which sometimes give you a glimpse of parallel or future events. Not the greatest game ever but for someone who doesn't usually like survival horror, it sucked me in enough to play all the way through to the end.

Cause it takes diff'rent strokes to move the world, yes it does.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake has 9 characters   Alan Wake has 9 characters Empty

Back to top Go down

Alan Wake has 9 characters
Page 1 of 1