Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain Empty
PostSubject: Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain   Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 5:02 am

Uberman said it best. "This is Call of Duty. And that's all you can really say about it." If you've played a Call of Duty game since Call of Duty 4, you've got a good idea of how this one plays, so let's just skip to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly (which I'm doing again.)

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain Thegoodn

Black Op's overarching plot is almost good when you can actually tell what the hell is going on and there's a decent, if predictable, plot-twist in the second half. Unfortunately it's marred by unlikeable and forgettable characters and a weak ending.

Also, for what it's worth, there's not really anything wrong with the game's basic mechanics. You aim your gun at things at bullets fly towards them. It's nothing special, but it works.

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain Thebad

Generally I have no problem with games being linear, and in fact some of my favourite games are. But Black Ops is linear to the point of being almost non-interactive. Your team-mates lead you around everywhere by the nose, and there's no freedom to do things your way, lest you risk instantly failing the mission.

For example: near the end of the game, you and another character are sneaking into a secret facility to assassinate a scientist, and there's a section where you have to avoid a spotlight. Finally, I thought, some actual stealth, so I timed it and, when the spotlight moved away, made a run for it, was instantly spotted and subsequently murdered by the guards. Sure enough, I had to wait for my AI partner to run ahead and tell me when I could go. So much for that.

Of course, given the game's all action, all the time approach, these types of "stealth" sections are generally pretty brief. Honestly, five minutes can't pass in this game without something exploding. The problem with this is that when you're always trying to get the adrenaline pumping it wears the player out and the action ultimately feels just as boring and token as walking around your house in Heavy Rain, looking for the next plot device.

Concerning multi-player, which is a pretty big focus in these games, it's adequate but hardly anything special, and it suffers from some balance issues. Beware of spawn-killers.

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain Theugly

I'm always hearing people praising Call of Duty's graphics, but I don't see it. The textures are flat, the lighting is bland and you'd see less grey staring at the fucking pavement. Not only that, but as far as I can tell the graphics haven't improved a great deal since Call of Duty 4.

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain Cod4cod7

The first person animations are jerky and the transition between pre-canned death animations and ragdoll effects can be a little jarring.

SUMMARY: If you've played Call of Duty before, you've seen what this game has to offer. Just imagine Modern Warfare 2, but even more linear and ridiculous and you've got Black Ops. If you're really hard up for VG entertainment, then give it a rent at best because it's not going to last you long.

HEAVY RAIN review here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.277950-The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly-HEAVY-RAIN
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain   Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:51 pm

-Drifter- wrote:
... Not only that, but as far as I can tell the graphics haven't improved a great deal since Call of Duty 4.

Freudian slip ? Do you mean, "...since COD 3" ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain   Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 2:40 pm

No one remembers cod3. Also it's not on PC so i've never played it

and it's call of duty and it's made by treyarch so i have no reason to play it when i already have the new one and am receiving the same mediocre experience
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain   Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain Empty

Back to top Go down

Call of Duty: Black Ops and Heavy Rain
Page 1 of 1