Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Downlodable content(dlc)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Downlodable content(dlc) Empty
PostSubject: Downlodable content(dlc)   Downlodable content(dlc) EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 3:38 am

Havent posted in a while, and it seems unlikely this topic havent been discussed before somewere on this forum, although I couldnt find a thread named dlc or similar. But anyway what kind of downlodable content do you think is good and what is bad? Do you buy any dlc at all, and what kinds do you buy?

I dont buy much dlc to be honest, but recently I got several downlodable costumes for mortal kombat 9 from psn. 4 or so costumes I bought, and 3 came for free with compability uppgrades. I dont have anything against buing costumes as long as they are cheap.

Mortal Kombat9 also have some downlodable fighters you can buy, and that seems a bit low, since I have to pay for something they just as well could have put in the original game.

Dlcs I also often end up buying are maps for shooters. In many cases these are just new areas, they dont really add anything new. But I still buy them sometimes, because Im a sucker.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Downlodable content(dlc)   Downlodable content(dlc) EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 3:46 am

That's why I prefer PC as my main gaming platform.
With enough tools and good hands you can make your own DLCs (Dragon Age for example)
But yeah, basically DLCs is a way to make more money.
Some of them are shitty, like weapons or maps pack but DLCs like big mods for Fallout or something like ME 2: Lair of SB is worth buying I think. It all depends. Money , desire to buy, desire to argue and etc.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Downlodable content(dlc)   Downlodable content(dlc) EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 10:20 am

I hate DLC.

The concept is sound. Developers make a game. It's popular, people want more. So the developers create a bit more content, not enough to make a full-on sequel and release it as DLC. Fans get more, developers get a bit more money, eveyone wins.

BUT.

Now there's this trend of developers creating all their content, shearing off about 10% and making it only accessible as DLC. This is fucking bullshit. Take for example the last PGA Tiger Woods game. In the PGA season you start playing and then eventually come to an event that is only available as DLC. Now, all your AI competitors can obviously participate in the event, but you can't unless you shell out more dough. Which is bullshit. The content is available at game launch, so the developers obviously had it all programmed, brushed up and ready to go at the same time as the rest of the game. This is not 'extra content' in any real definition of the term. They've simply held a portion of the full game for ransom. Fuck that noise.

[old man rant]

The rot started to creep in with the prevalence of the internet and the idea of 'patches'. Prior to that you would buy a game and that was that. Sure, some games were crippled by bugs and that was bad. But because developers knew this and it could sink an otherwise successful games they usually tried very hard to stop this from happening. Then patches appeared. At first they seemed great, you could fix up games that had problems. What could be wrong with that ?

Deveolpers saw this as the ultimate saftey net. Now they could rush out games with sometimes massive faults and simply promise fans the problems would be fixed later on. Rather than being a kind of emergency measure, it started to become the staple of lazy, money-grubbing studios rushing to meet ridiculous deadlines. Suddenly you weren't buying a complete game, you were merely buying the first version of an unpolished product. Bullshit.

DLC is similar, but worse. Instead of being a nice little option add-on feature, it's becoming more and more critical in order to have a complete version of the game. No, we're not there quite yet but I'm really worried about where we'll be in five years time.

[/old man rant]
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Downlodable content(dlc)   Downlodable content(dlc) EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:25 pm

I have a feeling that in the future , the process of buying the game will be like this: buy a cd box->buy a key->buy a website access->buy a product-> register product ->download product ->burn cd -> install -PROFIT!!!

I like DLCs because when the game you like ends and you want some more, this is where dlcs shine (only if good, not cut-out, content).
The other side is as Uberman said - unfinished products, cut-out content and patch system (I have the same opinion but I thought it would be irrelevant to write it here).
Modern DLC system is like sex withoiut orgasm. To cum, please download our new DLC Humans: "Cumming is fun" for 15.50$
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Downlodable content(dlc)   Downlodable content(dlc) Empty

Back to top Go down

Downlodable content(dlc)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: Released Games-
Jump to: