Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty
PostSubject: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Got it recently, and have been playing it a lot. I figure that, like with Oblivion, the actual game mechanics seem too clunky and repetitive to keep things fresh once the content runs out. Luckily, that probably won't happen too soon because there's a metric shitload of it.

In the mean time, I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It's big, beautiful, and interesting. There are a few features and improvements in particular I'm quite fond of.

-The animation, while still a bit below average, is leaps and bounds better than in Oblivion and Fallout 3, and you can actually rotate the camera around your character (at least while standing still.) Those are both kind of big for me, since I prefer to play in third person.

-Talking takes place in real time and doesn't do that weird zoom-in thing that Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas did. Plus, you can leave a conversation whenever the hell you want, instead of having to wait 'til (or skip to) the option to say goodbye. More RPG's need to do this.

-Combat is actually sort of fun, rather than frustrating (Morrowind) or dull (Oblivion) and, in more difficult fights, actually requires a bit of strategy.

Of course, no game is without a few faults, especially when it comes to Bethesda. Probably my biggest annoyance is that - as is standard with Bethesda games - there's not enough voice actors for the huge cast, so you'll hear the same few voices saying the same few lines over and over and over again.

So there's my two cents on Skyrim. How's everyone else enjoying it?
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 pm

I dont own or want it.

I dont plan to buy it, maybe im not interrested since I havent played any oblivion game, or maybe I dont like the fantasy thing. Or maybe I just know my compurer cant handle it. Anyway, not interrested.

I reqognize the voice actor problem from fo3. And indeed most open world games. Not really a problem for me though.

Aaaaaand just for the record, you could rotate the camera in fallout 3.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 7:17 am

Love this game.
With some HD textures it's very pretty, especially snow areas.
Lots of quests, different cities and all that classic RPG stuff...and dragons...these weak, puny things, that keep dying from a couple of blows.
The game is great and it’s really huge, like way bigger than Oblivion. (at least in content).
The are only few flaws that I saw.
1) The brotherhood – it’s duller than it was in oblivion. Nor just quests, but almost everything, starting from armor and ending with hideout. I don’t mean that it’s dead bad, it just could be better.
2) A major plot line is as interesting as a blank wall. It’s actually the biggest flaw of all TES games.
3 )Lots and lots and LOTS of bugs.
4) Easy dungeons. – dungeons supposed to be deep and interesting not straight as halls in your basement.
The game is nice and it’s much better than Oblivion, and I do expect TES KIT to start doing some magic.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 7:44 am

Casted wrote:
4) Easy dungeons. – dungeons supposed to be deep and interesting not straight as halls in your basement.

Yeah, they are a pretty big disappointment. Even the dungeons in Oblivion had more personality. I do like that there's usually a secret passage or something that takes you right back to the exit though, rather than having to backtrack all the way through.
Back to top Go down
CajoleryJoe

CajoleryJoe

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I absolutely love it. I pity anyone who misses out.

I will likely end up spending hundreds of hours on it, especially after more thoroughly worked immersion and higher difficulty/"realism" mods come out. Oh, and I wish I was still afraid of dragons like I was at level 2-3...
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 1:27 am

Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 3:47 am

Yes. Why use your magic dragonborn-powers to save the world when you can...... make the world dance? Or......drown everyone in CHEEEEZZZZZZE?

The townsfolk dont seem to apriciate the generosity though. Maybe they are lactose intolerant or something.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 2:02 pm

As I'd predicted, Skyrim got old. For me, at least. Once I finally decided to finish the main quest (which, I must say, is a bit weak) I felt like I'd pretty much seen everything there was to offer from a gameplay perspective, and the writing is a little too bland hold up.

Also, it gets extremely irritating when every single character feels the need to say something to you whenever you pass by them. And it's never just a simple hello, 'cause that wouldn't be annoying enough. Instead it's "I work with my mother to sell fruits and vegetables" or "You know what's wrong with Skyrim these days? Everyone's obsessed with death!" EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 3:54 am

Sounds. very. Annoying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty

Back to top Go down

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Page 1 of 1