Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Duke Nukem Forever

Go down 
+5
AnonymousAdam
-drifter-
art
Uberman
sexbad
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
PunchFox

PunchFox

Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 8:09 am

Sexbad wrote:
PunchFox wrote:
Sexbad wrote:
Uh, no. The entire mission is to stop the aliens because they took your girls. I guess it's a little insensitive in that you can blow abducted hot women to pieces as they're fused into the insides of an alien ship, but you could do that in DN3D too.

Of course, Duke isn't very progressive for women anyway, but he's not misogynistic, just hedonistic.
I heard the game is overall pretty chauvinistic, and I've seen a few clips, but hey, anything can be taken out of context. I was also told though that at the beginning, there's something about encountering two chicks who are pregnant, presumably raped by aliens, and you cannot continue until you kill them? That's just a bit weird. Yes, I know that they're asking for it, apparently, but... i dunno.

At one point, you encounter two of your babes (the Holsom(?) twins who service you after you finish the intro) infused to the gooey hull of an alien ship. When you encounter them they go "Duke, it was our first time with an alien!" They aren't visibly pregnant, but only because they are recognizably human from the tits up. I believe you have to shoot them to get by. There are plenty of other remarkably attractive women who are given the same treatment. You blow them to bits with your shotgun and Duke says something like "They weren't human anymore," remorsefully. There's no rape scene or anything.

It actually just seems to abandon the "they stole your whores" plot about halfway through.
As I said, the rape was implied. I am just basing it off of what I have heard, having never played the game myself. So it's hard for me to argue in depth. Sorry for being a lame-o. I fully acknowledge the sources I am thinking of were just over blowing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 4:05 pm

The thing is...i hate every aspect of this game.
The gameplay is lame, you can carry 2 weapons, too straight forward and on and on and on.
But still...i keep on playing this game for unknown reasons.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Everything you need to know about this game (POSSIBLE SPOILER) -

I started the game taking a piss. That is the character, Duke, staring at a urinal and then taking a piss. I then carefully washed my hands with soap, used the dryer and then proceeded to a toilet where I found a turd. I picked up the turd with my newly washed hands as was given the first achievement of the game for picking up the turd.

To be honest this game doens't suck as much as I'd feared. I know I should be objective but i have to say I went into this game thinking it was going to be awful. It's not awful. It's not great, but it's not awful.

The good thing is that it doesn't take itself too easily (obviously). It also moves at a really fast pace which is nice, jumping from section to section pretty quickly to change things up. And ... that's all I got.

The bad. For a start, I'm shocke dat how bad the graphics are. Seriously, we're at a level of development where I hardly think about graphics anymore - except when they're glaringly bad. Like in this game, where things get horribly pixellated close up. Also, lots of monster closets, fairly uninspired gameplay, level design etc etc. You've seen it in reviews and such and it's all true. The game isn't bad per se, it just isn't particularly good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 am

Hey, remember when I said I'd stop ragging on Duke Nukem Forever? Turns out I'm full of shit. I just played the demo, you see. It... wasn't great. The guns are unsatisfying and cheap sounding, the enemies are stupid, the environments are bland... I could go on, but to put it simply, it doesn't feel "old-school" so much as just plain primitive. Why this game took 14 years to be released I simply don't understand, because any competent developer could have crapped this thing out in one.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 am

HighPlainsSquinter wrote:
Hey, remember when I said I'd stop ragging on Duke Nukem Forever? Turns out I'm full of shit. I just played the demo, you see. It... wasn't great. The guns are unsatisfying and cheap sounding, the enemies are stupid, the environments are bland... I could go on, but to put it simply, it doesn't feel "old-school" so much as just plain primitive. Why this game took 14 years to be released I simply don't understand, because any competent developer could have crapped this thing out in one.
It's actually just the 007 engine with different textures⸮
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 5:50 am

PunchFox wrote:
Bloodstone or Nightfire...or I'm just out of the loop here?
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:00 am

Casted wrote:
PunchFox wrote:
Bloodstone or Nightfire...or I'm just out of the loop here?
I, uh... meant Golden Eye...
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 6:12 am

AND ANOTHER THING ...

Seriously, I hate to beat a dead horse but I have to add this.

Platforming elements.

I have very strong opinions about this. Developers - is your game a platformer ? If yes, include platforming elements. If not, DON'T. Seriously, you can shoe-horn in a driving section or whatever, but platforming is notoriously difficult to get right. If you're not going to commit to a full on, tried and tested platform game then don't even try. They don't add anything to the game experience except frustration.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 5:14 am

I think one of my biggest problems with this game is that the developers seem to un-ironically think that Duke Nukem (the character) is cool. By all accounts, there's no subtext of parody (and no, references =/= parody), they aren't subtly taking the piss out of him, they're just playing it completely straight. And when you're talking about egomaniacal, sociopathic idiot who sounds mentally challenged, steals all his one liners and looks like this...

Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 Duke_Nukem_3D_Coverart

... then playing it straight is just about the worst possible approach.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 8:14 am

Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 98krK Blow it out your ass.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 8:33 am

Is he trying to do the Elvis lip or something?
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 am

No idea. I just want that as an emoticon.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 10:41 am

Sexbad wrote:
Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 98krK Blow it out your ass.
HAH! I get it!
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Sexbad wrote:
No idea. I just want that as an emoticon.

Sim-sallah-BIM !!!!!

Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 2548402910 Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 2548402910 Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 2548402910 Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 2548402910

And HPSquinter, to be fair they are taking the piss. He's supposed to be ridiculous and perhaps even a bit sad in the game. His apartment building is plastered with pictures of himself etc etc. I think the mistake was more that the character would carry the game, that they could slap him on any old piece of shit and people would like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Duke Nukem Forever
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3