A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Heroes of Newerth

Go down 
AuthorMessage
interlider

PostSubject: Heroes of Newerth   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Now in Open Beta, anyone can create an account and start playing HoN (of course, after a short download - about 250 megas+updates). I've been playing since the Closed Beta and even before, when I was a DotA player years before I even knew HoN was in the making.

I am aware that most DotA fans don't really support HoN, and in the HoN forums some HoN players - which I sepparate from DotA players because they never tried the WC3 mod - don't like older DotA players. Still, as a rather recently "converted" player, I must say the game is worth trying.

When I first tried it, I felt like the biggest noob in the face of the Earth: everything felt new and different. The controls and gameplay were the same, my mouse and keyboard were the same, I was the same... but everything felt different and new. I believe this is what drives so many great DotA players away from HoN: the feeling of playing something completely new, feeling - and sometimes even behaving - like a total noob, losing the respect his Nick carried with it.

I want to make it clear I'm no HoN employee (lol), and I only posted this because I saw a comment from MortalWombat about being a DotA player at the Warcraft 4 thread. Anyways, here it is, my opinion.

~IntEr
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 am

im so high right now

Last edited by art on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
interlider

PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:27 am

Well, the thing is there are a couple of missonceptions in your arguments. Mainly, it's not an MMO - and I'm not saying this in the condescending "not just another MMO" kind of way: it just isn't. This is an Aeon of Strife kind of map; I know, that doesn't say much about the gameplay, it's a matter of lore. Nowadays, some people call them 'MOBA', which stands for (iirc) 'Massive On-line Battle Arena', which, again, imho, does not stand for what this really is, as each match (yes, it's like Chess: one match at a time and the board goes back to zero) handles 10 players or less, hence no 'massive' indeed.

Anyways, HoN is a game that is in Beta but that isn't for free, despite the fact that, of course, a lot of people play for free considering it _is_ still in Beta (kinda confusing lol - no, not really). Thanks to the company who produces it's (presumed) transparency, we know that more than 60k people already prepurchased the game (me included ^_^). There are more than 200k individual logins per day, about half a million per week and, pasme, 60k+ at any given time in peak hours - yes, this means people logged in at the same time.

I need to add to that last bit of information that you get nothing for being on-line, at all. The game is based on a 21st century chess board sort of speak (I'm being veeeery loose in my definition) with numerous heroes that form two teams of 5 or less that combat each other to achieve ultimate victory over the other by conquering the enemy's base (again, this isn't an MMO - no sidequests, levels, exp and gold wiped after a 20-40 mins match).

The community is also kinda hardcore, different from the average free MMO you might have argued about. Still in Beta, there are international tournaments with money prizes (already been about 20 tournaments or so).

Anyways, I do understand your arguments and I agree with most of them, only they do not apply to HoN in the most part, mainly because you argued against a different type of game. I believe you're intelligent enough to form new arguments to make from this a levelled discussion, but as things stand, and due to how moot your post has been specificly and only because it doesn't apply (in the most part) to HoN, I can't quite say you moved me with it.

~IntEr
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 am

im so high right now

Last edited by art on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
devil1337

PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:50 am

I haven't tried HoN yet, although as a former dota player I was curious about it. Most of my friends play League of Legends so I tried this one first. It's fun but the matchmaking is terrible. After you win too many games in a row, they'll set you up with the worst team possible and you'll suffer a horrible defeat. And that doesn't happen just once. You'll suffer the same defeat over and over again for a random number of times in a row, ranging from 3 to 7.

If somebody played them both, can they tell me about the main differences between them? I would be interested in trying out HoN if I find it to have better features than LoL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 pm

art wrote:
it's just another free MMORPG game that, as with all free MMORPG games, can be fun for about a week but ultimately gets boring more quickly than a normal game.
It's not an MMO...at least read up on it a bit before making such a presumptuous comment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heroes of Newerth   

Back to top Go down

Heroes of Newerth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: Upcoming Games-
Jump to: