Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Diablo III

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 am

Maybe it's too early to say this but the more I see of Diablo 3, the less enthusiastic I get. Many games such as Dragon Age: Origins have claimed to be "dark fantasy" but it's been so long since we got one that actually was, rather than just being regular fantasy with a coat of brown paint. I'd been hoping that Diablo 3 would bring back the series dark atmosphere and epic storyline and show everyone how it's done, but it's not looking to be the case. I'm not just talking about the increase in colour, something many a fanboy has bitched about. The subject matter has taken a turn from grim to silly. For example, take this cutscene from Diablo 2...

And compare it to this:

The gameplay looks alright, I'll admit, but they've made a lot of changes that hardly seem necessary, especially when they already perfected the Hack-Slash-and-Loot system 10 years prior.

Overall, I'm not too enthusiastic about this third installment, and it seems unlikely that Blizzard is going to turn things around. I feel like they sort of lost their soul to WoW, especially since D3 looks more like WoW than Diablo (aesthetically at least.)

All I can say is that they sure don't make em' like they used to.

Last edited by Drifter on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm

No.2 is so cheesy
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Despite being a big RPG fan, I've never been too keen on the Diablo games. A bit shallow, perhaps.

But yes, my big fear for the new one is that it will simply seem derivitive in 2010. The original was perhaps overly simply, but it was fairly innovative. A simplified action RPG that was great to play with a friend over a modem or LAN. But the concept has now been so completely hashed over, it's hard to know how Diablo 3 will push it's head up above the ohters. To be honest, I think it's going to get by simply on the name.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
superawesomecoolguy

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 1:12 am

the trailer looks so lame what the fuck o_O?
Back to top Go down

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptySat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 am

I've never been able to get into the point and click RPG series. I try really hard but I can't enjoy it. It's odd, because I enjoyed RTS games when I was younger, so you'd think pointing and clicking would be such an obvious and easy thing to me.

I've never really played a computer exclusive RPG game, though. That's right. I like console RPG games. Right now I'm playing Rogue Galaxy and I have to say it's the best linear console RPG game I have ever played.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about Diablo 3.

I don't get it, I really don't. I don't see the hype. I'm not any more excited for Diablo 3 than I was for Metal Gear Solid 4 or Tony Hawk's Underground 2 or Tomb Raider: Underworld or Megaman 10. They're all games that rely on the success of past games, and if it weren't for past games in the series they wouldn't have been so popular.

I'm not gonna hate on Diablo, but I'm not gonna say I am enjoying all the hype either. It's just another one of those games I never have played and never will play, and when I say that people are going to look at me like I just said I dip my toes in acid on a daily basis.

Let's all get together and play Umihara Kawase.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 2:56 am

Click-and-kill! Click-and-kill!
That's about it. Nothing more.
Cool picture? Maybe.
Fancy ways to shove a spell in someone's ass? Check.
Good old "classical" RPG characters? Check.
Boring and monotonious gamplay? Check.

To play such games you must love grind. You must feel the grind. You must touch the grind.
May the grind fill you. May it's force be with you.

Like Star Craft 2, it's like a tribute to the old-school gamers...i hope. (that's just my opinion)

P.S
I liked the first 2 parts. they were pretty good time killers.
And i loved to play with my friends.
I can't stand this game in single.

Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 4:58 am

Casted wrote:

I got into an argument with somebody else over this very sentiment. You could describe any game like that (for example, I could say Mass Effect 2 was just aim-and-kill! Aim-and-kill!) but it'd hardly be a fair or accurate description. Diablo 1/2 aren't exactly the deepest games out there, but they have a distinct aesthetic and a dark, interesting story, and it'd be disappointing to see the series lose these qualities.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Drifter wrote:
Casted wrote:

I got into an argument with somebody else over this very sentiment. You could describe any game like that (for example, I could say Mass Effect 2 was just aim-and-kill! Aim-and-kill!) but it'd hardly be a fair or accurate description. Diablo 1/2 aren't exactly the deepest games out there, but they have a distinct aesthetic and a dark, interesting story, and it'd be disappointing to see the series lose these qualities.

It was a joke)
And I agree with every word.
It's all matter of perspective.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Drifter wrote:
Casted wrote:

Meh, to me that's just unneccessarily argumentative. There are deep games and there are shallow games. I think we can all see and understand that. Diablo has been a shallow series so far. That doesn't make it bad per se. I like some shallow movies and some shallow TV shows and some shallow video games.

You say a 'dark, interesting story'. Maybe I'm not so familiar with the series (particularly the second one), but I thought there was hardly any story at all. I'm prepared to be wrong on this one, I haven't played 2 all that much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 1:54 am

Uberman wrote:
You say a 'dark, interesting story'. Maybe I'm not so familiar with the series (particularly the second one), but I thought there was hardly any story at all. I'm prepared to be wrong on this one, I haven't played 2 all that much.

Diablo 1 was a bit... strange. You see, it seemed to randomize which quests showed up every play-through, so it's easy to imagine someone going through the game and never hearing any dialogue other than "What can I do for ye?". Other times, you'd get the whole story. The archduke Lazarus leading men to their death's, King Leoric's descent into madness over the disappearance of his son (who, [12 year old spoiler alert] was kidnapped by Lazarus so he could stick Diablo's soulstone into the poor kids head[/12 year old spoiler alert].) The first time I played it I actually couldn't finish it because it was too depressing (I was fairly young at the time.) There's also a lot of story hidden in texts randomly scattered around the dungeons.

As for Diablo 2, well, I guess you'd just have to play it again.

Here's a basic summary of the games and some of their backstory.

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/timeline.xml

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/lore/journal.xml
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Diablo III Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diablo III   Diablo III Empty

Back to top Go down

Diablo III
Page 1 of 1