Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fallout New Vegas

Go down 
+2
Izanagi_the fool
herman the german
6 posters
AuthorMessage
herman the german

herman the german

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:55 am

this game was supposed to have been released october 09, but obsidian have rescheduled it for this autum/fall, and we have heard very little about it.

Personally the very idea of obsidian developing a new fallout game is positiviley orgasmic, is anyone else anticipating this game? its had a pretty low press coverage
Back to top Go down
Izanagi_the fool

Izanagi_the fool

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 8:11 am

A lot of people give Obsidian a hard time but I am positively giddy over a new fallout.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 3:05 am

Holy shit, it's not being made by Bethesda?

Thank God.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:06 pm

I actually don't know much about this.

Where's the love for Bethesda ? I thought the last game was great. Flawed in some ways perhaps, but definitely enjoyable. I played it all the way through and would've probably got some of the expansions if I was a member of Live. I liked the VATS system - though perhaps I'm in the minority there. Nice story, lots and lots of side-missions. I'd be happy to see something similar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Izanagi_the fool

Izanagi_the fool

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:57 am

By no mean am I putting down Bethesda, Fallout 3 was one of my favorite games of all time. I just hope Obsidian can match that greatness.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 am

Bethesda is fucking shit. :)

I'll ignore criticizing Oblivion because it's in a different series, but also because it's basically the same thing. FO3 is by no means an RPG, but rather a first person shooter, and a really poor one. There are just RPG elements on the side, and look how deep it is, with one or two dialogue choices and the rest being questions about people. There is barely any more roleplaying going on than in any of the STALKER games, all of which end up having far better gameplay and rewards for exploration rather than collecting tin cans to bleed salesmen dry of their money.
So you go around and shoot things. These things typically have Grade-A Artificial Stupidity, slowly listing from side to side and shooting in your general direction. This is made up for by the ridiculous amount of health both the people and animals have. You'd think that a shotgun blast, let alone a bullet, to the head would kill someone. Even if it didn't, you'd think that a message popping up on your monitor saying her head is crippled after loading off a shell would somehow be deleterious to her skills, such as cognition or aiming, or maybe crippling her voicebox so she can't spew out those constant taunts she gives off. As for the supermutants, the massive health is semi-excusable, but you cannot argue that it is impossible to aim a gun or even see where you are going if you are shot in the eyes. There is also VATS, used to balance out the game's difficulty even more, but it is simply too much of a cheat, and watching every single shot you make in slow motion that also shows off how poorly the sound effects are detailed when they turn extremely tinny is painful. Oh, and the entire main campaign is a two hour sewer subway level.
And I would also like to note the graphics, and I rarely note graphics. Every single animation in the game is absolutely stiff. All character models have the same exact male/female human base model, both of whom look like they have just a slight tint of Down syndrome. Copypasta is also present throughout the entire game world, where there are neighborhoods filled with the exact same two houses that were both destroyed in the exact same way, repeat ad nauseum. This is also extremely apparent in the sewer subway level where each station has exactly the same rubble, except it's placed in slightly different locations.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Dragons in Space wrote:
Bethesda is fucking shit. :)

So much anger !

Listen, I don't want to come off like a wounded fanboy, but I did like Fallout 3 AND finished it, so I think I should address a couple of your points :

1. It's a FPS and not an RPG

Sure, I half agree. Twitch reflexes definitely help, and if you're playing stealthy then it's all down to relfexes. However, the VATS does involve behind the scenes dice rolling and your stats heavily influence this. I felt like my character was improving and getting more powerful as the game went on, which is mostly what I'm looking for from an RPG. More so than Mass Effect 2, which I flet was even more action-oriented, but which I would also call an RPG. So, an action RPG then. I can live with that.
As for shallow 'good' vs 'bad' role playing. I agree with this too, but there are very few games which go beyond this. I guess just due to the amount of programming involved. 'Dragon Age' I guess is an example of something that goes for a wider scope. So I'm with you, but think this is more a symptom of games in general these days.

2. Stupid AI

Yup.

3. Headshots should crippple

Yup. They should've made headshots MUCH harder to make, and a lot more damaging. But again, I think this is another symptom of lots of games these days.

4. Sewer level / copypasta.

In defense of the game, it's kind of a victim of it's own setting. Yes, it's bleak, but comsidering the post-apocalyptic setting that's really the only way to go. The copypasta houses are silly, but again this is due to the setting. Any wide open / sandbox game needs to rely on copypasta. However, if it's something like GTA you notice it less because undamaged buildings are fairly unchracteristic. And hey, you see rows of very similar buildings in real life. So I hear you, but still think they did an OK job under the circumstances. It is a pretty big game world.

Not a perfect game, but then what is ? I enjoyed it enough. I was more let down by the level cap and the ending. Still I'd give it an Arbitrary nine out of ten, in the games review magazine inside my head.
Back to top Go down
Izanagi_the fool

Izanagi_the fool

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 10:04 am

Dragons in Space wrote:
All character models have the same exact male/female human base model, both of whom look like they have just a slight tint of Down syndrome.
Just pretend the radiation did it.
Back to top Go down
herman the german

herman the german

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 6:15 pm

I'd argue Fallout 3 is an RPG wholesale.

There may be alot of FPS combat, but it's not standard COD corridor spraying, infact the game always opens up several avenues of completion for every scenario. Just like Fallout 1 and 2.

Spot an enemy patrol? well you could go in guns blazing if your a small guns character, but you could also hack a nearby control panel to turn thier turrets against them - or even acsess a hidden door and bypass the encounter entirley. Stealth character? activate the Pip Boy and sneak past them, perhaps even reverse pickpocketing a grenade onto one of them for a bit of fun. If you're a melle character you could equip your followers with rippers, and run in for a huge brawl, if your a big guns expert, then take out your minigun, secure a defensive position and hail down bullets onto your enemies.

Fallout 3 is definatley not an FPS.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Can someone clear up something for me? I noticed you guys arguing about wether it is a FPS or a RPG, but is it anything like Oblivion? I absolutely hated Oblivion and I was scared that Fallout 3 would be very similar so I skipped it and I keep hearing about how awesome it is. So guys, is it anything like Oblivion?
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 2:13 am

It's basically Oblivion, brown edition with guns and more but implausible gore.

When you summarize the gameplay, basically, apart from the combat, both games are the same. You emerge from a dungeon/vault in which a large amount of melee/ranged combat happened after an apparently major character died/left. You then go around a large landscape full of samey environments drenched with a saturated shade of the color green/brown performing tasks for people who sit around all day looking for someone to fetch or kill some stuff. There are also dreadfully boring dungeon/subway sewer levels.
Back to top Go down

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:20 am

ignore Dragons in Space. He's a self-involved child with Xbox Kid taste in video games.

Bethesda is a great company. Fallout 3 is a great game. The only reason people THINK bethesda is bad is because they believe people that diss it constantly.

Also, the new Fallout game will be made by Bethesda. They bought the rights and everything to Fallout. They own it now. They are, however, working IN PARTNERSHIP with Obsidion. So both of the companies will work on it.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 am

Dude, XBox kids are the kids who mainly like FO3. I'm sorry that I didn't find the roleplaying immersive, or the shooting smart, or the environments unique.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 am

Umm thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Yes, I hope that clears everything up for you, Infant Shaker.

In truth, no one really knows as it's early days and not much news has been made available. But the quote is, "The same kind of game as Fallout 3". So, I guess another RPG / FPS hybrid kind of thing.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/100/1002811p1.html

I guess they didn't read my many, many e-mails asking them to turn Fallout into a match 3 / hidden object game.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I can easily say Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games now, I really can't wait for New Vegas.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Uberman wrote:
In defense of the game, it's kind of a victim of it's own setting. Yes, it's bleak, but comsidering the post-apocalyptic setting that's really the only way to go. The copypasta houses are silly, but again this is due to the setting. Any wide open / sandbox game needs to rely on copypasta. However, if it's something like GTA you notice it less because undamaged buildings are fairly unchracteristic. And hey, you see rows of very similar buildings in real life. So I hear you, but still think they did an OK job under the circumstances. It is a pretty big game world.

I'm not sure I buy this excuse. Red Dead Redemption (which, admittedly, was released two years later) is quite huge, yet there's virtually no recycled buildings or landmarks. And, considering that Fallout 3 actually looked worse than Oblivion, you'd think they could've at least added more buildings.
Back to top Go down

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:28 pm

If you've ever been to a suburban area then you'd notice that every house looks the same. Why can't Fallout 3 be that way?

Fallout New Vegas 58183800_bbc817770d
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Thing is, basically everything in the game is the same. You see a row of destroyed houses. There aren't two bits of variation in how they are all destroyed. You just see these cloned rows of skeletons and it's just pathetic.
Back to top Go down

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 am

one great cup of coffee wrote:
Thing is, basically everything in the game is the same. You see a row of destroyed houses. There aren't two bits of variation in how they are all destroyed. You just see these cloned rows of skeletons and it's just pathetic.

The game gave up some of its style in order to have technical grace. Its mechanics work very well.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 am

I never closely expected houses but they look OK to me. A lot of them have the same layout and whatnot, but it doesn't take anything away from the game.
Back to top Go down

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 12:21 am

I do agree that the destruction is a bit odd. I find it incredibly odd that all the houses are destroyed in the same way, with the destruction all facing the same direction and being the same amount.

If they wanted it to look like a bomb had hit, wouldn't the destruction face a central point (where the bomb went off) and then houses would have larger amounts of destruction as that center point was approached?
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 1:42 am

art wrote:
I do agree that the destruction is a bit odd. I find it incredibly odd that all the houses are destroyed in the same way, with the destruction all facing the same direction and being the same amount.

If they wanted it to look like a bomb had hit, wouldn't the destruction face a central point (where the bomb went off) and then houses would have larger amounts of destruction as that center point was approached?

If they wanted to make it look like a bomb actually hit then their job would have been a lot easier, in that there'd be a lot less to render. Whatever bomb hit the capital wasteland would have had to be pretty weak, considering most of the city is still standing, even if it isn't in good shape.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Possible spoiler?   Fallout New Vegas EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 2:42 pm

I was looking at some New Vegas screenshots when I noticed a very familiar looking mutant:

"Note: Clicking this *will* fuck up the page width":

Is it just me, or does this guy look a helluva lot like (or rather, exactly the same as) Marcus from Fallout 2?

Fallout New Vegas Marcus

PS: I'm not finished Fallout 2, so please, no spoilers relating to Marcus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fallout New Vegas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout New Vegas   Fallout New Vegas Empty

Back to top Go down

Fallout New Vegas
Page 1 of 1