Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Damn Those Evil Commies!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Damn Those Evil Commies! Empty
PostSubject: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 11:54 am

Uuuurrrgh. People. Seems to me like most everyone only ever sees one side of the coin, and it's the side their government told them to look at. I understand that communism hasn't, in most cases, worked out too well in the past, and of course there was that whole "Cold War" business, but I would hope that by now most people would have outgrown the "Anything that isn't democracy is evil" mentality. Sadly, that's not the case.

Recently, I read a news story about the Cuban Press' reaction to Call of Sturgeon: Black Hawk, and more than a few people seemed to be of the opinion that we shouldn't care what they have to say, what with them being virgin sacrificing devil worshipers. I mean, communists. Now, maybe I'm missing something, but hasn't communism worked out pretty well for them? And didn't "democracy," you know, not?

I don't find it hard to grasp that different cultures have different ideals/politics, and that what you or I may see as oppressive, others may see as liberating, but apparently I'm in the minority. It's disappointing, if not particularly surprising, but I suppose you can't expect everyone to see things your way.

Last edited by Drifter on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Superfluous H.)
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Problem with communism is that despite the whole "we all work together Star Trek peace brigade" promises, human nature is against it. No matter what, someone will attempt and succeed in taking over the government. A dictator is not part of communism, but Cuba, the Soviet Union, and North Korea ((big) maybe? (were they actually communists at any time? they certainly have a dictator (parenthesis))_()()) have them anyway.

Communism is possibly the best thing ever in terms of peace, but humanity, as a whole, will not allow the fancy ideals of it to work out.

Also if I missed the point of this thread and answered a different question than the one you asked it's because It's 1 AM (secretly 2 AM because of DST fucking with me) and I'm too lazy to reread what you wrote goodbye
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 10:14 am

to paraphrase what SPT said, communism looks good on paper and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks.

Still not sure and too lazy to know if that's what I was supposed to answer or if anyone cares.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 11:41 am

I'm pretty sure it was

and it was what I was going to say, but you saved me the bother of writing it out in long form. So thanks.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 2:57 pm

PunchFox wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was

You would be wrong.

I would explain, but I'm pretty tired right now. Maybe later.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 6:30 am

Drifter wrote:
Now, maybe I'm missing something, but hasn't communism worked out pretty well for them? And didn't "democracy," you know, not?

I'm not sure I agree with this. You're talking about a seriously, seriously poor nation. From people I know who have been there (I haven't) Communism isn't especially popular there and hasn't been for some time.

Now, this could partly be the fault of the system, but it's also unfortunate for them that their major allies / supporters dropped the Commie potato like a hot rock, most notably the old USSR. Leaving poor Cuba cold, alone and generally unsupported.

Whatever your views on Communism, it's probably going to disappear completely within our lifetimes and be relegated to the pages of history as a failed social experiment, albeit on a massive scale.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 2:00 am

I guess. My issue isn't focused so much on this hatred of communism and more on the general attitude of "My way is the right way!" Or perhaps more accurately, "My way is the only way!"
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 am

Capitalism is the only way
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Freedom is the only way, now!

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

"Freedom" in sarcastic air quotes.
Back to top Go down
MortalWombat

MortalWombat

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Anarchy is the only way.
LOOK AT ALL THIS FREE STUFF
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 am

The only form of government better then a democracy is a punchfoxocracy.

are you guys with me?
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Only if "punchfoxocracy" is about punching you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damn Those Evil Commies!   Damn Those Evil Commies! Empty

Back to top Go down

Damn Those Evil Commies!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: Everything Else-
Jump to: