Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) Empty
PostSubject: Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360)   Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Just for future reference, I'll be writing "Impressions" whenever I've yet to finish a game and am not ready to do a full review, but want to share my opinion on the first couple of hours. So, with that in mind, here's "Eat Lead."

Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) Eat-lead-the-return-of-matt-hazard-logo

"Eat Lead" is one of those games that I sort of wanted to try, but was never interested enough to actually rent or buy it. Luckily, I got a belated birth-day present a couple of days ago from a friend of mine back in Cloverdale, so I've been able to put an our or two into it. While I'd heard some bad things about the game on the interwebs, I have in the past enjoyed games that others consider garbage ("Two Worlds," for example.) So, is it good, or was everyone right?

Well, I'm not really sure.

If you've never heard of "Eat Lead," it's essentially a self-aware parody of gaming as a whole, set in a world where video-game characters are superstars, kind of like professional actors. The hero, Matt Hazard, started his career in 8-bit side-scrollers on the NES, and has starred in numerous games since. After failed attempts at branching out into different genres, though (with games like "Hazard-Kart,") Matt's fallen into obscurity. However, after a new CEO buys out the company that made his games (the name of which I forget) he's given a chance at a comeback, by starring the the company's first next-gen shooter. At least, that's what Matt thinks.

Things start getting strange as enemies from Matt's older games start spawning in and a new action hero (Sting Sniperscope, I think his name was) tries to off him and take his place as the main character. Someone in the real world has it out for him, and he's got to figure out why and stop them before he's wiped off the face of the video-game industry.

Best start up the western music because it's time for:

Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) Thegood

I'm not really a big fan of self-referential humour, but for what it's worth "Eat Lead" does boast the occasional funny line and/or amusing character, and the visual effects do a good job of making you understand that you are supposed to feel like a character in a video game.

Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) Thebad

Considering EL: RMH is supposed to be a parody of the last quarter century of gaming, you'd think the game-play would be pretty varied. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Rather, you're stuck playing a bland third-person cover shooter with dim enemies, unsatisfying weaponry and terrible boss-fights. It's not awful, and I've played worse shooters, but it's really nothing to write home about.

You're arsenal is varied, to be sure, with guns ranging anywhere from six-shooters to water guns, but none of them feel very deadly. This is largely because most guns don't seem to do much damage, and enemies don't react to being shot (unless it's in the head.) The muzzled sound effects don't much help.

As for the boss fights I mentioned earlier... I'll admit, I'm not too far in, and I've only done three fights so far, but all three were just a series of quick-time events (the second one was actually just a single button prompt, after which my enemy got punched once in the head and died.)

Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) Theugly

All I really need to say for this section is "the whole game." The lighting is boring, the textures are flat and bland, the environments are the same as the textures, and the animations are stiff and awkward. Facial animations are at least fluid, but can look pretty weird thanks to the low detail in character's ugly mugs.

Basically, the art design of "The Return of Matt Hazard" is the exact opposite of Folklore's: bland and uninspired. I very much doubt anyone will remember the cardboard environments of Eat Lead after playing it. Hell, even I can't remember what most of them looked like, and I played the game not 24 hours ago.

---------------------------------------
To sum it up, "Eat Lead" isn't exactly a bad game, but it has yet to blow my socks off and in the game-play and visuals departments it's about as mediocre as it gets. I can't help but feel that, given the premise, the designers missed a golden opportunity to make a fun and varied game with lots of different mechanics, and instead settled on making a boring 3rd person cover shooter that we've all seen before.

My recommendation at this point is to give it a rent at best.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360)   Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 am

Saw some video- review ages ago, I think I giggled at most of the jokes from the game. Unfortunetly it seemed the gameplay was bad and so on, so I didnt buy it.

What games does it make fun of? I mean its pretty old isnt it? Because I would love a game making fun of Assassins creed for example.

"Guide: Ok, so I gave you this bright white robe, right? Now, you can walk among crowds undetected. All you have to do is put your hands together, and the guards will think your a munk, so the will ignore your big sword and the fact that people seem to die all around you!

Game character: What? That dosent make any goddam sense!

Guide: Oh, but you havent heard the best part! This is all a computer simulation! This has already happend! Thousands of years ago!"

Or something like that. Most recent games practicly asks to be parodised.

Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360)   Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 4:14 am

The graphics may make you think otherwise, but the game was actually released in '09, so they could have done some sort a Assassin's Creed parody if they wanted, but the focus is mostly on making fun of gaming cliches rather than specific titles.

Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360)   Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Haha. That was pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360)   Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360) Empty

Back to top Go down

Impressions: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard (PS3/X-BOX 360)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: User Reviews-
Jump to: