Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Event Horizon

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Event Horizon Empty
PostSubject: Event Horizon   Event Horizon EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 5:15 pm

If you don't feel like reading a full review, here's the cliff notes:

Spoiler:

I'd heard about Event Horizon mainly through people comparing Dead Space to it. Being a fan of sci-fi horror films, I figured I'd check it out. Things started out promising enough; A space-ship known as the Event Horizon disappeared without a trace seven years prior to the events of the film somewhere near the edge of the solar system. That is, until a mysterious audio transmission from the ship is received containing what sounds like a lot of screaming and a man speaking in Latin. A crew of people are sent to investigate and rescue anyone who may still be alive. The premise is interesting and the cast, while not perfect, do a decent enough job. Unfortunately, once we actually see the EH things start going downhill.

Unsurprisingly, the ship is without power and is seemingly abandoned, with no signs of the previous crew whatsoever. Everyone splits up to try to get things running and figure out what the hell is going on, and this is where one of the films major problems occurs. We never spend much time with the characters, as they're separated more often than not and the film never lingers on anyone long enough for us to get attached. Some of them have a little back-story but it either never gets fully revealed, or it is revealed but in a very hasty, half-assed manner. Even the main character, played by Laurence Fishburne, doesn't get much more screen-time than anyone else.

As the film goes on it get progressively sillier and, at the same time, more disturbing. And not in a good way, in a SAW way. Towards the end especially the gore ramps up to frankly gruesome levels as we're greeted with visions of where the ship has been and how bat-shit insane it's turned everyone. Speaking of the end, the movie's primary antagonist just sort of comes out of nowhere, and by the time it happens you'll have gotten bored long ago. And in case you were hoping that there might at least be a decent conclusion, think again. In fact, there's barely an ending at all.

Oh, and did I mention that there's an annoying, stereotypical black guy?

All in all, it's a disappointing film that never really draws you in. I'd suggest you don't waste your time with it.

Last edited by Drifter on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : for religious reasons.)
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Event Horizon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon   Event Horizon EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:21 pm

That is one stereotypic black guy alright. Ive never heard of the film at all.

So, are there monsters? Do they look good?
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Event Horizon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon   Event Horizon EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 2:22 am

Well, not really.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Event Horizon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon   Event Horizon EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:43 am

Ah.

Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Event Horizon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon   Event Horizon EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 am

Agreed - great premise that was completely wasted. You don't get enough sci-fi horror movies in my opinion.

I have to say though that when this film came out I went to see it with my Dad. Neither of us knew anything about it, but from the poster I just figured it was a straight sci-fi film. When you're not expecting a horror film, it was actually pretty effective. But every time I've seen it since, it gets more and more disappointing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Sponsored content

Event Horizon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Event Horizon   Event Horizon Empty

Back to top Go down

Event Horizon
Page 1 of 1