Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Battlefield 3

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Battlefield 3 Empty
PostSubject: Battlefield 3   Battlefield 3 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 5:08 am

There is a section near the beginning of B3 in which generic middle eastern city de jour is destroyed by an earthquake that kills off most of your buddies, and you're left on your own. With my AI teammates no longer there to drag me around by the nose I was free to go at my own pace, explore, choose my angle of attack on the unsuspecting enemy soldiers and generally feel like I was actually playing rather than just spectating, and it dawned on me that I was actually having fun.

Of course it was over all too soon as I was re-united with the surviving member of my squad and we were air-lifted out, and from that point on the game can pretty much be summed up as "Call of Duty but Prettier." However, it made me realize that maybe what I hate about that particular franchise and its many clones isn't the regenerating health and cover-based shooting, it's how they stomp all over the player's freedom in the name of railroading you from one set piece to the next.

I know I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the whole game had been about Blackburn (the main character) trying to escape the ruined city while being hunted down by the insurgents who take over, instead of the generic CoD ripoff it is.

Anyway... Has anyone else bothered with this one?
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Battlefield 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3   Battlefield 3 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 12:21 am

No.

But it does look very pretty..... I didnt really expect the campaign to be anything good after suffering trough bad company2.

Anyway, the online is really what bf is about, right? So how is that part of the game?
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Battlefield 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3   Battlefield 3 EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 1:55 am

I played three matches online (managed to get the MVP badge in the third) and it was okay, but I prefer BC2.

Speaking of BC2, I actually enjoyed that game's campaign despite the stupid, barely existent plot. It wasn't overly scripted or restrictive (while you're almost always with a squad, they're generally following you) and actually made use of the destruction physics (sometimes a little gratuitously, like the level where the whole town is collapsing around you while you try to make it to the helicopter.)
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Battlefield 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3   Battlefield 3 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:19 am

I liked the destruction as well, I don't remmember it being usefull in the campaign. It was very nice and usefull in multiplayer though, even if it didnt work everywere.

What does MVP stand for?
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Battlefield 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3   Battlefield 3 EmptySat Dec 10, 2011 6:10 am

AnonymousAdam wrote:
I liked the destruction as well, I don't remmember it being usefull in the campaign. It was very nice and usefull in multiplayer though, even if it didnt work everywere.

What does MVP stand for?

Most Valuable Player.

I thought the destruction actually came in handy pretty often. Enemies shooting down at you from a window? Blow up the wall! Can't find the door? Make one of your own! Lots of guys in a heavily damaged building? Bring the whole thing down with a rocket!

And so on and so forth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battlefield 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3   Battlefield 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Battlefield 3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Review With Extreme Prejudice :: Released Games-
Jump to: