Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Games you wish had sequels but don't

Go down 
+4
PunchFox
AnonymousAdam
-drifter-
Uberman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Games you wish had sequels but don't Empty
PostSubject: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:14 am

I am playing back through Stuntman Ignition at the moment. I love it.

It is itself a sequel to the original Stuntman game, but there is no third game in the works.

Why do I love it ? Well, it's a kind of a racing game but it focusses much more on real precision than on twitch reflexes or simple speed. There's a learning element in figuring out the courses, but also a little creativity in terms of finding good 'lines' for combo runs. In that way it almost reminds me of a skatboard game.

It's a car driving game that's not quite like anything else out there. Not quite racing, but with spectacular explosions / stunts, some great moments. Thinking things through and elegant driving are rewarded.

In short, it's a unique game and I'm ready for another one. As far as I know there is no sequel planned, which is a shame in the wake of all these same old racing games, Need For Speed and the like. It's not like it's some cherished franchise that can be destroyed by a bad sequel, so bring it on, I say.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:54 am

Beyond Good and Evil. Yeah, a sequel is supposedly in the works, but it's been a while since we've actually heard anything other than "it's not cancelled."
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 3:18 am

God of war 3. The game was good, but not neeeeaarlyyy as good as the series deserve. It was so very hyped, and so many things in it felt dissapointing when it came out. Bosses the size of sears tower? One. Enemys you can ride? two. bossencounters on titans? no. A lot of titans? no.

And the story left very many plotholes, didnt explain so much(chain of ballance, a higher plain of existence,the flame of olympus) and just wasnt good.

What really makes me sad is that its the last god of war game in the trilogy. Nay I say! Kratos deserves better! Give me God of war 4! Let me slay Asgard or whattever, just dont focus so much on graphics this time. Make a long game!

Yea, wont happen for a while, but a gamer can dream, right?

Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 pm

HighPlainsSquinter wrote:
Beyond Good and Evil. Yeah, a sequel is supposedly in the works, but it's been a while since we've actually heard anything other than "it's not cancelled."

I'd like to see a sequel too. Here's the fear though.

When BG&E first came out it was pretty innovative. It was a fairly standard 3rd person action game at its core but it managed to bring in a few quirks thta made it interesting, with different modes (racing etc), the camera and so on. But these innovations worked so well they became pretty standard fare for 3rd person action games, so it would be very difficult to get that same shine.

Of course there was the excellent plot and characterisation as well, but these are also things that only have a 50/50 chance of making it across sequels.

But like I said, I'd still llove to see them try.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 6:10 am

(Looks at uberman)

Games you wish had sequels but don't 676732189

Wow, you actually changed your avatar......

Thats...uh....Interresting.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 2:01 am

Duke Nukem! Definitely Duke Nu-- oh... wait...

But seriously, I'd like to see a sequel to Sim City. It's been a while, and I wonder what cool features they might come up with.

As for console games... how about Yoshi's Story? Fun game, great art direction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:49 pm

I would love to see Dark Cloud 3.
Oh and Alpha Protocol. Despite all flawes I love this game.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 6:23 am

Casted wrote:
I would love to see Dark Cloud 3.
Oh and Alpha Protocol. Despite all flawes I love this game.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAH to both of those ideas.

Especially Dark Cloud 3. The first one had some good ideas. The second was just awesome beyond all reasonable expectations, improving on the first in every way. I think Level-5 are incapable of making a bad game.

Alpha Protocol - absolutely. If they learned from the mistakes of the first game and just made the necessary tweaks, this could be awesome.

Sim City ? Why not ? But I wonder how much more can be done with the series that hasn't already been done.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 8:34 am

Uberman wrote:
Sim City ? Why not ? But I wonder how much more can be done with the series that hasn't already been done.
How about fixing the economy so you don't have to be a genius to maintain a profitable city? :(
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 am

PunchFox wrote:
Uberman wrote:
How about fixing the economy so you don't have to be a genius to maintain a profitable city? :(

Or perhaps different levles of difficulty. There's surely something quite realistic in struggling to balance the budget of a city.

I restarted Dark Cloud 2 today, having my memory jogged by Casted. Fuck it's a good game.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 am

I remember skipping school to play it.
This game has a special place in my heart.

My most favorite part was building and...golf. I sucked at it but loved it.
Oh and I still dont know how to use Monica's transformathion properly(
Ohhh! And you could bash a clown with a wrench! Priceless! Games you wish had sequels but don't 2709000466

P.S. The only annoying moment was during "afterend", when you had to hunt down the Dark Fatty.
These dugeons very fucking LONG. And I had shitty weapons. And I wasted all my money on gems. And missused them. But the ridepod...damn that was some fucking raping mashine with dual katanas.
Back to top Go down
superawesomecoolguy

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 pm

warcraft 3 :(
and no WOW doesnt count i want a warcraft 4 game damnit!
with more units better graphics and of course the competitive Mp scene that will surely be an integral part of the game

i probably spent more hours playing DOTA melee and TD with my friends then i've spent doing anything else
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 1:56 am

Casted wrote:
My most favorite part was building and...golf. I sucked at it but loved it.
Oh and I still dont know how to use Monica's transformathion properly(

That's the genuis of Level 5's RPGs. They take the core game but then add all this peripheral stuff to it. Dark cloud has the town planning, fishing, golf, Ridepod building, photography, scoops, ideas, inventing, medals etc. Rogue Galaxy had the hunting, bug tournament, factory, weapon development etc.

Although these things may seem like silly little extras, they massively increase the longevity of the game. And in a good way, not an artificial way. Not just 'side quests', but whole seperate mini-game modes that can be done in the midst of playing the main game and which are fully integrated to affect that game by giving you items / upgrades or whatever.

Lovely.
Back to top Go down
Saithis

Saithis

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:29 am

MIRROR'S. EDGE.

I DEMAND A SEQUEL WITH MULTIPLAYER.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:40 am

Mirror's Edge is getting a sequel on the new Frostbite engine. Not sure what multiplayer would do for a solo sports game mainly about time trials.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 am

sexbad wrote:
Mirror's Edge is getting a sequel on the new Frostbite engine. Not sure what multiplayer would do for a solo sports game mainly about time trials.
You get to fucking race your friends across skyscrapers and catwalks, what more could you want?.
Back to top Go down
Saithis

Saithis

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 am

sexbad wrote:

Pfft, fuck time trials. At least make it co-op vs SOMETHING. People love FPS's, and Mirror's edge has the best handling/HUD/First-Person-POV I've seen yet.

Step 1. Take an FPS like CoD.
Step 2. Add the Mirror's Edge Engine/Feel
Step 3. Become fucking rich.
Step 4. ???
Step 5. Juggle.

FPS doesnt even have to be PvP, Left 4 Dead's Co-Op was GREAT. Imagine how much entertainment you'd get from wallrunning a sign, leaping onto a crane, and swinging to save that ally hanging off a ledge with one hand on a briefcase. Sure, you'd fuck up a few times, and sure, there needs to be some sort of assist feature for the noobies, but can you imagine the satisfaction of pulling shit like that off unaided? Way more rewarding than that quadra-mega-explosion-nuke-kill you got in Halo by running around holding a trigger. Why the assist feature? The only thing wrong with this type of game is that today's FPS's are fun even for the casuals who haven't mastered the controls or the 10 year old internet tough guys with no attention spans. Make time trials the pre-match for people to mess around with while waiting for lobbies, or make it a seperate mode, I don't see while Mirror's Edge can't become great, as long as they don't fall into the Brink Overcustomization Problem.

Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 8:19 pm

I just hope they focus on the platforming. I found the combat in Mirror's Edge to be really weak and it felt like it had been shoe-horned into a game that didn't really want or need it.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Mirror's Edge. I love what it was trying to do and that it was a new and original idea, but I never felt like it really pulled it off. Maybe that's just me. I'm not sure what never clicked with me but ultimately I think it was the level design and environmental style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Games you wish had sequels but don't   Games you wish had sequels but don't Empty

Back to top Go down

Games you wish had sequels but don't
Page 1 of 1