Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Evil = Jackass

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 2:42 pm

I have a tendency in games to lean towards good. Not neccesarily because I care about the people I'm helping, because that's rarely the case. Most games fail to convince me that their NPC's are anything more than a bunch of robots (and stupid ones at that) so I usually don't care whether they live or die. No, the reason I'm usually enclined to go with the good/neutral morality is because the path of evil is so often littered with plenty of idiocy and pointlessness.

Evil characters in RPG's tend to be more Cobra Commander than Cy Tolliver.

Evil = Jackass Alwaysbetoncy

And who would you rather be? Some jerk-off in a fetish outfit who kicks puppies, or Powers Boothe?

You don't get hirelings to covertly take care of the competition, threaten people into doing your dirty work, or secrety cause strife for your own benefit. No, more often than not it just revolves around you slaughtering people, usually for no better reason than general dickishness. It's rarely the easier choice, and even when it is it's only incrementally so. Really, it's not so much evil as it is just plain crazy. And this is my main problem. Lack of subtlety aside, there's really just no benefit for being an asshole. The good guy's usually get better stuff, and don't have to deal with people spitting on them/running away and screaming in terror.

For example, in Red Dead Redemption, if you're good you get a cool looking duster, the adoration of the people, and a cross that makes enemies less likely to hit you. If you're evil, you get a scarred, beaten up black horse that comes when you whistle, and most likely a large bounty on your head. If you're corrupt/evil in Fable 2, everyone hates you, the opposite sex find you unatractive (most likely due to the horns, green eyes and big, ugly, orange scars and warts that cover your body) and the best thing you're likely to get for your efforts is a crappy sword.

Evil = Jackass Ndq1wj

Not pictured: worthwhile rewards, good looks, sex

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that there needs to be more games in which you can take a more productive, less stupid approach to evil, rather than being some cartoonish villain who kills people for the hell of it, and where there's actually some legitimate reason/reward for doing so. This would also give some meaning to good in games. After all, a true good guy does well not because it's easy or because he expects some sort of reward out of it, but because it's what's right.

Now, I realize that good and evil are nothing more than concepts, and that everyone's sense of morality is different, but I'm assuming that most people here have at least a fairly similar moral compass.

Evil = Jackass Compass

This is just a regular compass, but whatever.

I'd rather not get into any sort of discussion over the finer points/philosophies of right and wrong (at least, not today.)
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Funny you should say that, because I usually play as a good guy because I find it more challenging.

Fable 2 is a good example - setting the rent on your properties at a high rate is considered 'evil'. So you have a bunch more cash at your disposal which can make a difference early on. It's one of the few games where I did play as a dick and I found it much easier. Likewise, when you are a prisoner in the tower, there's no moral anguish about being tortured and losing XP - you just do as you're told and breeze through.

Fallout 3 and other games are also good examples. If you pickpocket and steal, you can get a lot of money and equipment that otherwise you have to leave alone. Sure in Fallout 3 random villagers will sometimes say 'thanks' by handing over some ammo or something, but it's still way less.

No, I usually play as a 'good' character because I think it is a bit tougher in most games. Then if I like it enough I go back and play as an asshole for the chuckles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 2:28 am

Uberman wrote:
Fable 2 is a good example - setting the rent on your properties at a high rate is considered 'evil'. So you have a bunch more cash at your disposal which can make a difference early on. It's one of the few games where I did play as a dick and I found it much easier. Likewise, when you are a prisoner in the tower, there's no moral anguish about being tortured and losing XP - you just do as you're told and breeze through.

I suppose that there are some downsides to being good, but they aren't big enough for me to care. Money never felt very useful to me, and experience is easily gained back.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:27 am

Yup I agree.

Do you:

A: Take the baby or care for it yourself

B: Look for someone to take care of it

C: Curb-stomp it
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:50 pm

D. Shake it. SHAKE IT !!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 1:07 am

Hahaha
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:37 am

I also generally play as good, but for exactly the reason you said you don't do it for.

I'm a big pansy pussy girl, and honestly feel bad for the polygon programs inhabiting my game, even though I know they aren't real.

I DO eventually go back and play through the evil version just for the sake of completion, but I feel really bad for the entire game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
Saithis

Saithis

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 2:22 am

I personally think people need to re-explain being evil.

I steal money from a couple people. I GUESS that sort of makes me evil, so I accept *Evil Points +1*

Someone tried to mug me. I kill them over it. *Evil Points +3* Wait, what?

Someone steals all my money. I fight them over it instead of turning the other cheek. *Evil Points +10* Hey...

An orphan is stabbing me repeatedly. I tell him to get lost. *Evil Points +30* Seriously?

I didnt want to sacrifice my hard-earned exp to save generic NPC whom we never meet again *vil Points +30*B-but...

I forget to breach forgiveness and goodwill across the globe *+40 Evil Points* uh?

I refuse to part the sea for some ungrateful people who recently tried to kill me *+50 Evil Points* ...

I refuse to martyr myself on some giant cross because of the mistakes of others *+100 Evil Points and a dog pisses on your corpse*

Then again, thats just Fable,really

TL;DR Jesus died for good points, you shouldnt sacrifice gameplay over them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Evil = Jackass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evil = Jackass   Evil = Jackass Empty

Back to top Go down

Evil = Jackass
Page 1 of 1