Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Go down 
+5
AnonymousAdam
Uberman
sexbad
art
-drifter-
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

So, excited?
YESH!
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty62%The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty
 62% [ 8 ]
NO!
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty38%The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty
 38% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty
PostSubject: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am

The fifth Elder Scrolls game is set to be released later this year, and it sounds really good. If you couldn't figure it out from the title, the game is set in Skyrim (homeland of the Nords) 200 years prior to the events of the last game (Oblivion, for those not keeping track.) The Septim Dynasty has fallen and the Empire is crumbling. Perhaps most pressing, however, is the propheciesed return of the dragons, including Alduin the World Eater.
You play a Dragonborn, the last of your kind, and the only hope there is of stoping Alduin, gifted with the same incredible powers as the Dragons themselves.

For more story info, go here.

Skyrim sounds much improved from Oblivion in the gameplay department, with improved AI, better animations, the ability to equip any item to either hand, and of course Dragon Shouts. These are special abilities that can let you teleport, slow down time, etc., and are gained by defeating dragons. One change that I'm certainly appreciative of is the new conversation system. No longer do you get locked into conversation with an NPC while being granted an extreme closeup of their face and having time cease to pass. Now, when talking to someone the camera stays in the regular view, and time continues to pass. Not only that, but the NPC's continue going about their daily tasks, chopping wood or whatever, while you talk, and you can break off the conversation at any point.

Graphics-wise, the game is being done on Bethesda's new Creation Engine, which, from what I've read, sounds quite impressive. Among other improvements, it adds dynamic lighting/shading to all objects in the game, something Oblivion lacked. If you don't know what that means, while buildings and characters casted shadows in Oblivion, objects and dead bodies didn't, which looked a bit weird. In Skyrim, everything casts a shadow.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim SkyrimScreen610

You can probably tell that I'm looking forward to this one. For me Oblivion was a bit of a stumble but hopefully Skyrim can pull the series back up.

So, thoughts? Disapproval? Excited bursts of glee? If you're not ready to make up your mind, I suggest you go to gameinformer.com, they have quite a few articles on the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/esv.aspx

The url above is a hub that links to all of them.
Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Unless they bring back the truly open world and freedom of Morrowind I'm not interested. I mean the ability to kill any NPC for any reason
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 4:36 am

I've never enjoyed any Bethesda game
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 3:22 pm

I'm a big RPG fan, so yeah. Having said that I HATED Oblivion and only played a couple of hours of it. Two words :

Adaptive

Fucking

Difficulty

If your enemies level up when you do then ... what's the point ? If you got high enough in Oblivion (I'm told), you'd get wandering bandits on the roads with shit-hot weapons and armor simply to keep pace with you. The WHOLE POINT of RPG games is that you get better and better, so that you can beat enemies you couldn't before and thus progress into new areas / situations. Adaptive difficulty killed Oblivion for me. If they promise to have gotten rid of it then my loins will stir appreciatively.

Also, looks very pretty, but the plot sounds like every fantasy plot ever. I hear 'Dragonborn', 'return of the dragons' and 'prophecy' and my eyes just start to droop shut. Lazy writing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Never played an oblivion game. Its basicly fallout 3 but without the guns, right?
Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Uberman wrote:
I'm a big RPG fan, so yeah. Having said that I HATED Oblivion and only played a couple of hours of it. Two words :

Adaptive

Fucking

Difficulty

If your enemies level up when you do then ... what's the point ? If you got high enough in Oblivion (I'm told), you'd get wandering bandits on the roads with shit-hot weapons and armor simply to keep pace with you. The WHOLE POINT of RPG games is that you get better and better, so that you can beat enemies you couldn't before and thus progress into new areas / situations. Adaptive difficulty killed Oblivion for me. If they promise to have gotten rid of it then my loins will stir appreciatively.

Also, looks very pretty, but the plot sounds like every fantasy plot ever. I hear 'Dragonborn', 'return of the dragons' and 'prophecy' and my eyes just start to droop shut. Lazy writing.

Adaptive Difficulty works in MMO games, but not in standard RPGs.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 3:53 am

Definitely not in standard RPG's. The level scaling in Oblivion was actually bad to the point that money was essentially useless, because the bandits will always have better gear than the shops, meaning you should just loot them instead of throwing away cash on outdated armor/weapons. I heard, however, that the difficulty in Skyrim works more like Fallout 3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106779-First-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Details-Leaked

As for the story Uberman complained about, I realize my synopsis makes it sound pretty generic, but you have to look at the big picture. The Elder Scrolls has a lot to do with prophecy and there's a mountain of backstory. The events of every game are tightly connected, even though they tend to take place centuries apart.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 pm

No more Elder Scrolls, please.
Can't they do anything better then that.
Assasians guilds, warriors guild, dragons, demos and on and on and on.
All this "big background story" and "holy shit! I'm the chosen one" repeats every fucking time.
At least Morrowind was somewhat challenging (on max difficulty)
I hope that they will at least remove this adaptive shit and remake this holy-moly animation.
And I really...really, really hope they will put some logic in these guilds. (I became the leader of every single guild)

P.S. Some new screenshots showing new locations and NPCs concept arts.

Last edited by Casted on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 11:55 pm

why do you ALWAYS have to be a chosen one and ALWAYS have to save the world

why aren't there any games where you're just an above-average dude and you aren't the only person who can save the world from blah blah blah
Back to top Go down
superawesomecoolguy

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:28 am

art wrote:

why aren't there any games where you're just an above-average dude and you aren't the only person who can save the world from blah blah blah

and how will that work exactly?
you die after an encounter with an average lvl 3 wolf and watch someone else save the world?
In my opinion,the whole point of a fantasy game is to make you feel bigger then life (or in other words "epic") and not to be average or realistic.

I am looking forward to play the new Elder Scrolls,for all the flaws of the game series (like the fact that the main quest line absolutely SUCKS or the fucked up bugges in almost every quest)
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 2:16 am

art wrote:

That's kind of what happens in Oblivion. You're important to the plot, sure, but ultimately it's Martin who saves the world. You're more of an errand boy.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 am

And it was Ok, but Martin is still a dick.
Back to top Go down
superawesomecoolguy

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 am

Casted wrote:
And it was Ok, but Martin is still a dick.
meh.
nobody does the main quest anyway...........
Dark brotherhood questline is way more fun,and that's just one example.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 5:37 am

Casted wrote:

P.S. Some new screenshots showing new locations and NPCs concept arts.

I read this a little too late I think, but.....

DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:12 am

How about some actual screenshots, then?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:34 am

I liked those. They are pretty enough to make me go "oh". And at the same time they dont look so fantastic that I question if there real.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:55 am

Now we just have to wait to see video to determine how poorly everything in the game is animated.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 6:41 am

Make way for Pessimist Pete over here.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 7:39 am

Well it looks good in screenshots, just like Oblivion or Oblivion 2, but Jesus Christ, all the atmosphere goes away when everyone looks like they were animated by a twelve-year-old who decided to try 3D modeling.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Back to top Go down
art

art

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 3:14 am

Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 4:32 am

Drifter: Nice trailer. Has all Elderscrolls games that norse mythology-ish style? Trailer made me kinda exited anyway....

Art: Not that exited though. Fun vid.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyFri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 pm

AnonymousAdam wrote:
Drifter: Nice trailer. Has all Elderscrolls games that norse mythology-ish style?.

No, Oblivion was set in a pretty standard, generic fantasy setting, for the most part. Morrowind, on the other hand, is hard to describe, so here are a few images.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mwind020_640w
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mwind017_640w
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mwind013_640w
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mwind002_640w
Back to top Go down
Odobenus rosmarus

Odobenus rosmarus

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptySat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 pm

I hated the TES 4 : Oblivion vanilla but I love the the one with fifty mods slapped on it. And I am also very excited about TES 5: Skyrim.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 am

When that giant charges at the player... holy shit man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Empty

Back to top Go down

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next