Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda. Empty
PostSubject: F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda.   F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda. EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 3:33 am

Sometime's I'm an idiot.

I got the first FEAR game, didn't think much of it, didn't play much of it.

For some goddamned reason I got FEAR 2. Didn't think much of it, didn't play much of it.

For some goddamned reason I got F3AR. Don't think much of it, probebly won't play much of it.

It's a pretty bog standard shooter, but for me there's a few problems that make it sub-par. For one, even the single player campaign seems very much geared towards a multiplayer experience. It's big on arenas, lots of conspicuous cover etc etc etc. it also seems to me that enemies recharge their shields like players do. If you wound a guy and don't finish him off, he seems to return to full strength after a period. Most games don't do this, and it seems to me to be more of a simulation of multiplayer, where obviously other player's health recharges exactly the same as your own.

That's one thing the game does right - for most people at least. It's quite challenging. Even on normal difficulty the opponents take quite a bit of damage before they go down. The AI occasionally screws up but it's not bad.

But back to the bad. For one thing, the game pretty much assumes you're down with the mythology. There's aquick recap of the previous two games, but it's not enough for people who didn't play through them. Me, having played only a little of each, has no real idea of what's going on.

But probably the worst thing is mapping the cover and stand/crouch actions to the same button. I can understand that some cover requires you to crouch, but sometimes I just want to crouch or stand and find myself snapping in or out of cover instead. I find it to be really tempramental. And honestly, pretty much everything else is cribbed from other games anyway. This one thing they choose to break the pattern, and it's significantly worse than other control schemes.

I've always found the FEAR games to be pretty bog standard shotters with a 'horror' motif pretty much tacked on with a few boo scares. This is the same. All in all, an average to poor cover / arena shooter. I don't reccommend it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Casted

Casted

F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda. Empty
PostSubject: Re: F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda.   F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda. EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 1:05 am

It's boring. That's what I think. I aced it yawing almost every minute.

I agree with almost everything you said above, Though I have one tiny question. If you play as Pointman why didn't they add Paxton as your AI buddy? And why in all hells when you play as Paxton, enemies "suddenly" see you?
Back to top Go down

F.3.A.R. is a game. Kinda.
Page 1 of 1