Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sly Cooper is a game

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Sly Cooper is a game Empty
PostSubject: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 am

So for whatever reason I've been on a pseudo-retro trip and have been digging into the old PS2 archives. I found the first Sly Cooper game and threw it in the old clunker (there are 3 games in the series).

You know, sometimes it surprises me when you put in a slightly older game and see it just getting shit RIGHT. Sure the game aint perfect, but it has elements that it does better than a whole lot of games today.

The main element I love ? It's a platformer, and every level has optional collectibles in the form of messages in bottles. Collect them all and you can open a safe that is also hidden somewhere on the level, which gives you a new ability or an upgrade to an old one. This may not sound like monumental stuff, but for a 10 year old game, it's pretty good. Not only are there optional collectibles for magpies like me who like to search all the nooks and crannies of the levels, but there's a real, tangible reward to doing so in the form of abilities that can make other parts of the game easier.

The design is great, the balance of the gameplay is great. The combat is fairly simple, throwing far more emphasis on the platforming, which is tight. There are 'gimmick' levels such as turret shooting or vehicle driving or whatever that serves to mix up the action now and then. The game gets slowly more complex and difficlut on a veyr reasonable learning curve.

Seriously, this game, old or not, just gets it right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Its done by suckerpunch, right? So Im not surprised over the godness.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:18 am

AnonymousAdam wrote:
Its done by suckerpunch, right? So Im not surprised over the godness.

Indeed young squire. I know you love the Infamous games for which they are also responsible.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 3:21 pm

It looks like I found my new victims to satisfy my gaming hunger. *Muahahahaha*
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:56 am

Finished the first game and put the sencond into my PS2. No go, can't read the disc. Tried Sly 3, same thing. Goddamn entropy.

I just saw that they're re-releasing all 3 games as a pack for the PS3, which doesn't help me. Now I have to see if I can find any old copies on PS2. It won't be easy, but it's worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 am

The game was even better than I expected.
Had lots of fun.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 9:24 pm

I tracked down new copies of Sly 2 and 3. I finished the first one and am about half way through number 2. Great series.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sly Cooper is a game   Sly Cooper is a game Empty

Back to top Go down

Sly Cooper is a game
Page 1 of 1