Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Duke Nukem Forever

Go down 
+5
AnonymousAdam
-drifter-
art
Uberman
sexbad
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 12:03 pm

What's the news on this game?

Also, wasn't there some snarky fake review about this game? How come YOU haven't reviewed it yet DOBERMAN?
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 am

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748-Duke-Nukem-Forever

Yahtzee did a sort of RWEP on DNF, which I think is what you were thinking of.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 am

So amazingly it seems like this game is actually comping out. not sure which of you are old enough to be nostaligic for the original.

BUT !

Interesting article here :

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1148581p1.html

For those who don't want to read it, basically the developers have 'intentionally' made the gameplay retro. For Christ's sake WHY ? Games have developed over the past 15 years. They've gotten better and better as developers' understanding of what makes a good game has improved. Why throw all that knowledge in the bin ? It's like banging wto rocks together to make fire, because that's what our ancestors did. We have better means now, we should use them.

I think this is a bad idea. I think this game will probably be bad.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:03 am

What "advancement" in modern shooters do you like the most, Uberman? The regenerating health, the aimbot, the heavily scripted AI, the invisible walls, or the constant need to aim down sights?

I particularly like none of these things. I also don't see what's wrong with using gameplay mechanics designed around being the most fun possible.
Back to top Go down
art

art

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Sexbad wrote:
What "advancement" in modern shooters do you like the most, Uberman? The regenerating health, the aimbot, the heavily scripted AI, the invisible walls, or the constant need to aim down sights?

I particularly like none of these things. I also don't see what's wrong with using gameplay mechanics designed around being the most fun possible.

why do you play so many first person shooters if you hate them so much
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 am

I am given money if I do.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 1:35 am

Sexbad wrote:

Regen health - Yes I like. Less likely to get into unwinnable situations. Peopel always complain about the realism of regenerating health. Walking over a med pack is more realistic ? Yes, I like.

AI - Yes, I like. So it's not perfect yet, but AI is vastly, vastly better than it was 10 years ago when enemies would largely stand still and wait to be shot. Yes, I like.

Invisible Walls - Yes, I like. Invisible walls are also much, much better than they used to be. Invisible walls are usually more 'hidden' now, represented by unpassable obstacles such as trees or cliff faces or whatever. You rarely get a truly 'invisible' wall in game sthese days. Old shooters got around this by simply channeling you into corridors, which was no better. Yes, I like.

FPS games aren't perfect - what is ? But they're way, way better than they used to be. Go back and play 'Doom', a game almost universally loved in its day, and tell me that it still holds up to today's standards. It's like comparing Pac Man to Grand Theft Auto.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 2:31 am

Better or not, I'd still prefer it if AI was a little less scripted. Why can't we have something more like Half-Life 2's enemies? Unlike in the majority of shooters, if you stayed behind a wall for too long they'd actually move in to attack you, they would try to avoid grenades and would generally actually move around. More recent games almost feel like shooting galleries, or, perhaps more accurately, rail shooters.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:17 am

I dont know jack about this game, but you can ACTUALLY THROW SHIT AROUND!

What...the......fuck.

Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 10:29 am

I've been playing Borderlands recently, and I have to say that I trust Gearbox will make this game great. Humor, gunplay, sex, all of it will probably be great.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 12:26 am

Whatever. Duke Nukem can suck it, for all I care. I want Serious Sam 3. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 3:08 am

I want Serious Sam 3 if they actually make it fun.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 am

It's Serious Sam. I think I can honestly, seriously say that you seriously have nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Sexbad wrote:
I've been playing Borderlands recently, and I have to say that I trust Gearbox will make this game great. Humor, gunplay, sex, all of it will probably be great.

I loved Borderlands, but what I liked was the complexity, the RPG elements, the equipment, the powers etc, none of which will be in Duke. As far as I know, anyway. They're saying its 'old school' so I assume nothing of the sort.

Still, I hate to be the guy who says 'This game is going to suck' before it comes out. Except, of course, in my vids in a joking way. So ... we'll just have to see.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 am

-Stranger- wrote:
It's Serious Sam. I think I can honestly, seriously say that you seriously have nothing to worry about.
Except it's Serious Sam. What matters entirely in games like SS is the shooting. And Sam has terribly bland weapons, terribly boring enemies, terribly empty environments, etc etc.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 2:54 am

Sexbad wrote:
-Stranger- wrote:
Except it's Serious Sam. What matters entirely in games like SS is the shooting. And Sam has terribly bland weapons, terribly boring enemies, terribly empty environments, etc etc.

Duke Nukem Forever 90393641

I hate you.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:33 am

Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Sexbad wrote:
-Stranger- wrote:

I'm with Sexbad. Never liked Serious Sam, never saw the appeal. I know, I know, it has rabid fans. But then so does Justin Bieber. OH SNAP !
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Sexbad wrote:

I don't get it. It's a Serious Sam knock-off. What's your point?

Also...

And what's more...

Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 am

It doesn't look very serious.....
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:05 am

You see, the difference between shit horde shooters like Sam and good horde shooters like Doom or Vivisector is as follows:

SS has poorly animated, static, cheap-sounding guns that have perfect accuracy. They make things that either stand still or rush at you fall over.

Vivisexy has well animated, organic feeling, loud guns with a kick. They can be used to kill violent creatures that like to swarm around and flank you, making it a necessity to weave your way through them, constantly moving, sometimes missing, blasting visceral chunks of gore out of their bodies as you do so.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:19 am

Sexbad wrote:
You see, the difference between shit horde shooters like Sam and good horde shooters like Doom or Vivisector is as follows:

SS has poorly animated, static, cheap-sounding guns that have perfect accuracy. They make things that either stand still or rush at you fall over.

Vivisexy has well animated, organic feeling, loud guns with a kick. They can be used to kill violent creatures that like to swarm around and flank you, making it a necessity to weave your way through them, constantly moving, sometimes missing, blasting visceral chunks of gore out of their bodies as you do so.

If you say so. As far as I can tell, the difference is completely imagined, except that Serious Sam doesn't lock you in a small areana until you kill everything.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:25 am

-Stranger- wrote:
Sexbad wrote:

If you say so. As far as I can tell, the difference is completely imagined, except that Serious Sam doesn't lock you in a small areana until you kill everything.

Instead, it locks you in a large, blank arena until you kill everything.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:45 am

Sexbad wrote:
-Stranger- wrote:
Sexbad wrote:

Instead, it locks you in a large, blank arena until you kill everything.

I'd still rather a large blank arena, fighting ridiculous numbers of boring enemies with cheap sounding guns than than a small blank arena, fighting smaller numbers of boring enemies with cheap sounding guns.
Back to top Go down
Kuma

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:29 am

Fallout NV with mods is better. Or any thief game. Or just any game out of the stealth genre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Duke Nukem Forever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever Empty

Back to top Go down

Duke Nukem Forever
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next