Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Duke Nukem Forever

Go down 
+5
AnonymousAdam
-drifter-
art
Uberman
sexbad
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sexbad

sexbad

Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 2:45 am

Uh, none of the games that we're talking about are in the stealth genre.
Back to top Go down
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:40 pm

I know but still, you too should stop complaining about which game is better each one has different preference and you should to convince someone that your game is better then his. :)
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 2:43 am

I hear a demo is out. Has anyone tried it? Is it any good?
Back to top Go down
CajoleryJoe

CajoleryJoe

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 2:51 pm

I have to say I don't have any high hopes for this game. The long development time doesn't bug me, I stopped caring about Duke Nukem about 15 years ago anyway. But since then a lot has happened in the gaming world (not to mention the world in general), and looking at the gameplay demos and trailers for "Forever" it feels like the developers have just ignored all that. Some may take that as a good sign, but I don't.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:15 am

Actually, it has lots of "advancements" such as regenerating health and a two-weapon system and multi-platform technology. Of course, I'm sure it'll still have all the bad shit we remember from the nineties, like Duke's hedonistic humor and maybe even some fun.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:35 am

Sexbad wrote:
... and maybe even some fun.

Oh no you di'in !

To me this feels like a B movie. Some B movies are awesome. Some are shit. Some are so shit they become awesome again. Without wanting to sound like a downer, I posit the following. Some movie makers notice the 'so shit it's awesome' thing and try to emulate it on purpose. This pretty much never works. When a movie is so shit its awesome, part of the joy is usually coming from the fact that it's trying so hard to be good. Look at 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' or 'Troll 2'. So trying for this usually ends up with something that is truly awful.

I mention this because I get the feeling that this is the note they're trying to pitch to with the new Duke Nukem. Ramp up the cheesy one liners, strippers and intentional old skool gameplay, and hope people will say 'you only think it's shit because you don't get it'. Unfortunately, by doing this on purpose I think they run a high risk of just making something awful.

Yeah, I know I'm being the voice of doom based on no evidence. But we'll see...
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
CajoleryJoe

CajoleryJoe

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Sexbad wrote:
Actually, it has lots of "advancements" such as regenerating health and a two-weapon system and multi-platform technology. Of course, I'm sure it'll still have all the bad shit we remember from the nineties, like Duke's hedonistic humor and maybe even some fun.

Heh, nice. Well, like I said, some may take the choices they've made as a good sign but I don't.

Uberman's post sums up pretty much how I feel.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm

It's in the hands of Gearbox and I absolutely love Borderlands. I saw some gameplay and the shooting looks fun and the levels look gorgeous and the humor is fantastic. There are some missions where you apparently can get lost in large sandboxes, but that's the only really negative thing I've encountered.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:52 am

Sexbad wrote:
It's in the hands of Gearbox and I absolutely love Borderlands.

Me too, but one of the things I loved most about Borderlands was the RPG elements / weapon upgrades / mods etc etc etc, none of which will be in this game. But you're right, good developer with a proven track record.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:52 pm

They're also responsible for this.

I hope none of you are Brothers in Arms fans.
Back to top Go down
CajoleryJoe

CajoleryJoe

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Oh dear. Inglourious basterds rip-off anyone?
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 am

Wow. Just ... wow.

The Brothers in Arms series always marketed itself on its gritty realism. Usually just a couple of shots would take you down, there was an emphasis on squad play, flanking, tactics and so on. Rushing in headlong like Rambo was usually a surefire way to get killed. They'd try to build up characters in a fairly realistic way so you'd be all emotionally torn up when they died in a cutscene. etc etc etc.

And now this.

I don't even.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 am

This just in: DNF is not very good, apparently. Shock and awe.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 am

Been playing it and have loved the fuck out of every minute of it.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:49 am

If you say so. Enjoy the game, I suppose, and I won't rag on it any further, suffice to say that to me it looks like giant turd that's getting by on nostalgia and nostalgia alone, and if it starred anyone but Duke Nukem I highly doubt people would even bother with it.

Me, I'll stick with Bulletstorm for my stupid, over-the-top fun, thank you (especially given that many of the modernisms you, Sexbad the Bangbarian, ragged on Bulletstorm for are in fact present in Duke Nukem Forever anyway.)
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:36 am

Yes, let's see, DNF's modernisms include two-weapon limit and regen health. That's really all I can think of. Besides, Bulletstorm is just Gears in first person with obnoxious people screaming the word dick.
Call me an introvert, but I like games that don't try to be awful and take themselves seriously.

I played DN3D like six years ago and barely remember it. I don't have much nostalgia for any DN game but I do remember a few of the old games being quality products.

Of course, I did have hopes that it would be Duke-Nukem-ish still, but that's not the same thing as what gets boring people preorder the next edition of Halo or CoD as soon as the opportunity arises.

Here is what I like about Duke Nukem Forever:
The humor
The weapons
The pacing
The puzzles (actually very well-designed)
The diversity
The ever-present sexuality
The platforming
The interactivity (so many minigames, I need to check if they're unlockable or something)
The monsters and their gore

Of course, it's flawed technology-wise and has a few dull moments, but overall it's well designed and incredibly fun.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 am

Sexbad wrote:
Yes, let's see, DNF's modernisms include two-weapon limit and regen health. That's really all I can think of. Besides, Bulletstorm is just Gears in first person with obnoxious people screaming the word dick.

You lost me. Bulletstorm has re-gen health and gratuitous violence, but that's about where the similarities end.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 4:46 pm

HighPlainsSquinter wrote:
Sexbad wrote:

You lost me. Bulletstorm has re-gen health and gratuitous violence, but that's about where the similarities end.
That was a rebuttal to you comparing the two!
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 2:14 am

DNF is apparently extremely chauvinistic and insensitive to certain subjects like... rape?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:08 am

Uh, no. The entire mission is to stop the aliens because they took your girls. I guess it's a little insensitive in that you can blow abducted hot women to pieces as they're fused into the insides of an alien ship, but you could do that in DN3D too.

Of course, Duke isn't very progressive for women anyway, but he's not misogynistic, just hedonistic.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:20 am

Sexbad wrote:
Uh, no. The entire mission is to stop the aliens because they took your girls. I guess it's a little insensitive in that you can blow abducted hot women to pieces as they're fused into the insides of an alien ship, but you could do that in DN3D too.

Of course, Duke isn't very progressive for women anyway, but he's not misogynistic, just hedonistic.
I heard the game is overall pretty chauvinistic, and I've seen a few clips, but hey, anything can be taken out of context. I was also told though that at the beginning, there's something about encountering two chicks who are pregnant, presumably raped by aliens, and you cannot continue until you kill them? That's just a bit weird. Yes, I know that they're asking for it, apparently, but... i dunno.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:43 am

And Duke says "Looks like... you're fucked."
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:52 am

Also, just as a general aside, but just because any form of medium is based around the premise of saving "your girls" from [threat] doesn't mean it isn't chauvinistic... if anything, those have got to be even higher at risk.
Back to top Go down
AnonymousAdam

AnonymousAdam

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 6:41 am

Well, every review ive seen of the game has been very negative. Not tthat I know shitabout the series or anything.
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 6:56 am

PunchFox wrote:
Sexbad wrote:

I heard the game is overall pretty chauvinistic, and I've seen a few clips, but hey, anything can be taken out of context. I was also told though that at the beginning, there's something about encountering two chicks who are pregnant, presumably raped by aliens, and you cannot continue until you kill them? That's just a bit weird. Yes, I know that they're asking for it, apparently, but... i dunno.

At one point, you encounter two of your babes (the Holsom(?) twins who service you after you finish the intro) infused to the gooey hull of an alien ship. When you encounter them they go "Duke, it was our first time with an alien!" They aren't visibly pregnant, but only because they are recognizably human from the tits up. I believe you have to shoot them to get by. There are plenty of other remarkably attractive women who are given the same treatment. You blow them to bits with your shotgun and Duke says something like "They weren't human anymore," remorsefully. There's no rape scene or anything.

It actually just seems to abandon the "they stole your whores" plot about halfway through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever   Duke Nukem Forever - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Duke Nukem Forever
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next