Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

LA Noire is a game

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:54 am

This game could've been written for me.

If you saw the last RWEP vid, you might have picked up on the fact that I love film Noir. I have a degree in cinema studies and wrote my senior thesis on film Noir. And this game hits the aesthetic dead on. Perfect.

Plus I love open world games. Plus I love heavily story-based games. Plus I love Rockstar design.

I like this game very much.

Which is not to say its perfect. One of my bitches about Mafia and its sequel was that they created a big, detailed world and then didn't give you much to do in it. This is similiar. There are some side missions (street crimes) but they're all pretty basic. There are 95 cars, but there doesn't seem to be much point in driving anything other than your default cruiser. It fits in with the game's style, it's played straight so it would be a bit wierd to go off driving taxis or whatever, but the world does feel a little bit wasted.

The other downside is that there seems to be a bit of 'guess what the developer is thinking' involved, a feature of bad adventure games back in the day. The interrogations can see a bit arbitrary, the choices can seem a bit too close to each other at times. Plus, I lost points on one mission for not going back to a location I had no reason to go back to, and on another mission basically because I chose to go to one location before going to another. No clues as to this, just a random choice and I picked the wrong one.

So far from perfect, but still awesome. Not for everyone I'm sure, but certainly for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: Re: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 am

Finished it.

Lovely, well worth the trip.

This is a very story based game, and the story just gets better and better as you go along. It eventually culminates in an absolutely pitch-perfect noir ending. No, no spoilers from me.

It's not perfect, but at least you can 'warp' from location to location if you don't feel like driving. I'm thinking of playing through again and trying to get perfect case scores. Oh yeah, that;s how much I like it.
Back to top Go down
CajoleryJoe

CajoleryJoe

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: Re: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 4:20 pm

I would absolutely love to play this game. Too bad it isn't out on PC. Nice of Rockstar to just ignore us without consoles.

LA Noire is a game 676732189
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: Re: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 3:39 am

Which would you rather play: This game, or GTA modified to be film-noir?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
Arab-man666

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: Re: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:16 am

I want to play it, but I'm weary of the prospect of an open world game that doesn't involve killing civilians.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: Re: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 am

PunchFox wrote:
Which would you rather play: This game, or GTA modified to be film-noir?

My main bitches about this game initially was that it wasn't sufficiently GTA-ish (as in, few side missions, etc.)

But in the end what makes this game excellent is the storyline, and that trumps any GTA game so far. So I'd have to say it's kind of a flawed gem. It's not pefect, but I probably wouldn't change anything about it.

And again, for those of you with 'open world' concerns, you can pretty much just skip all that. By about half way through the game I was warping everywhere and only driving if it was directly part of a mission.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: Re: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 12:04 pm

I played this while visiting my dad, and I've got to be honest... I wasn't a fan. The cases all felt pretty much the same, though it was the homicide desk that really killed it for me (no pun intended.) Just the exact same thing 6 or 7 times, followed by a fetch quest and a disappointing conclusion.

I did a couple more cases after finishing homicide, but ultimately got bored and gave up on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LA Noire is a game Empty
PostSubject: Re: LA Noire is a game   LA Noire is a game Empty

Back to top Go down

LA Noire is a game
Page 1 of 1