Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Great Games of Old

Go down 
+5
Uberman
Casted
sexbad
Infant Shaker
-drifter-
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
-drifter-

-drifter-

The Great Games of Old Empty
PostSubject: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:44 am

This is basically a "what's your favorite game thread," but with a twist: It has to be at least 8 years old. Why 8? Fucked if I know.

Anyway, I'd say Sacrifice for mine. In all the years since it's release, I have yet to play a game that's as adrenaline pumping and bizarre (maybe because I'm a console gamer.) It's on gog.com, so I'd love to buy it. Unfortunately, I can't set up a pay-pal account because for whatever reason I can't log into my bank account.

That volcano you see erupting near the beginning of the trailer? That's not a set piece. It's a spell. And you can cast it any time, anywhere.

Some day... Some day I'll have you again.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:58 am

Legend of Dragoon by miles.

The Great Games of Old PS1_-_Legend_of_dragoon

The Great Games of Old 0

The Great Games of Old S6f6cdd847851ee7d4dceb82b865ecb35
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 3:18 am

I actually have Legend of Dragoon here. I've heard a lot of good things, so I may try it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 9:28 am

Command and Conquer, hands down, forever. It created Real Time Strategy (actually Dune did but it was made by the same company and C&C made it more popular and better)
Back to top Go down
sexbad

sexbad

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 10:24 am

FreeSpace. Space drama, kickass dogfights, grizzly-voiced admirals.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 10:45 am

art wrote:
Command and Conquer, hands down, forever. It created Real Time Strategy (actually Dune did but it was made by the same company and C&C made it more popular and better)

God I used to love C&C, it's certainly one of the best games ever. Also Medieval: Total war was pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm starting to consider Metal Gear Solid as my choice. I've been playing through it (for the first time, actually) and I'm surprised at how well it's stood the test of time. It easily surpasses MGS 2 and 3, as well as that crappy Gamecube remake. Hell, I think I like it even better than 4.

I will admit, though, the boss fight with Sniper Wolf tarnished the experience somewhat. That was just an exercise in failure and frustration.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:35 pm

Yeah MGS is one of the best series in the business. I can't remember it's name but the game was about a zombie-skeleton thing and you'd run around a hit things, it was one the Playstation.

Also Tomb Raider, it was one of the first video games I ever played.

Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Infant Shaker wrote:
Yeah MGS is one of the best series in the business. I can't remember it's name but the game was about a zombie-skeleton thing and you'd run around a hit things, it was one the Playstation.

Medievil, perhaps?

The Great Games of Old Medievil_psone
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 3:24 pm

The Great Games of Old 1215539707_resident_evil1
Owns

The Great Games of Old Contra1
Double owning

P.S. In the legend of dragoons i couldn't defeat the last Lavos Core(((
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Drifter wrote:
I'm starting to consider Metal Gear Solid as my choice. I've been playing through it (for the first time, actually) and I'm surprised at how well it's stood the test of time. It easily surpasses MGS 2 and 3, as well as that crappy Gamecube remake. Hell, I think I like it even better than 4.

I will admit, though, the boss fight with Sniper Wolf tarnished the experience somewhat. That was just an exercise in failure and frustration.

I'm glad you understand :]
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 9:21 pm

Still Bloodnet -

Yes, I know it looks like shit by today's standards. IT'S NOT ! SHUT UP !
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 4:43 am

Drifter wrote:
Infant Shaker wrote:

Medievil, perhaps?

The Great Games of Old Medievil_psone

Yes that's the one!
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:06 am

Glad to be of service, O shaker of infants.

PS: I just finished Metal Gear Solid (I got the good ending) and I'm sort of left wondering: What happened with Meryl and Snake? And the end of MGS1 they're [spoiler warning]in love, and the only reason they didn't fuck right there was because the building was exploding. Then MGS2 comes along and is terrible there is no mention of this. Meryl just kind of disappears. What gives?
Back to top Go down
Casted

Casted

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Drifter wrote:
Glad to be of service, O shaker of infants.

PS: I just finished Metal Gear Solid (I got the good ending) and I'm sort of left wondering: What happened with Meryl and Snake? And the end of MGS1 they're [spoiler warning]in love, and the only reason they didn't fuck right there was because the building was exploding. Then MGS2 comes along and is terrible there is no mention of this. Meryl just kind of disappears. What gives?

Ok)
Here goes)
In MGS 4 Snake defeats his brother (who is only Ocelot who was brain washed),Big Boss got free only to die from Fox Die coz Snake was infected with new version.
After 6 month he dies from Fox Die to,Merylmarries Akiba (Kohny fromthe MGS 1 ( the who whos uniform she took)
Raiden is reunited with Rose.
More HERE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:07 am

Casted wrote:

Ok)
Here goes)
In MGS 4 Snake defeats his brother (who is only Ocelot who was brain washed),Big Boss got free only to die from Fox Die coz Snake was infected with new version.
After 6 month he dies from Fox Die to,Merylmarries Akiba (Kohny fromthe MGS 1 ( the who whos uniform she took)
Raiden is reunited with Rose.
More HERE

I know all that. My question is: What the hell happened to Snake and Meryl's relationship between 1 and 4?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:34 am

Canonically she died in Metal Gear Solid 1, but they retconned that when she came back.

Remember when Revolver Ocelot said he was going to do things to her WORSE THAN DEATH?

Snake let her get raped, man. I mean, that's kind of something you hold a grudge against somebody for.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 am

art wrote:
Canonically she died in Metal Gear Solid 1, but they retconned that when she came back.

If you get the good ending she lives, so...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 5:56 am

Drifter wrote:
art wrote:

If you get the good ending she lives, so...

The good ending is not canon. In the good ending Otacon dies and Snake doesn't get the stealth suit. Snake has the stealth suit in MGS2.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:06 am

How is the good ending not canon? It's in the game, isn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:07 am

Drifter wrote:
How is the good ending not canon? It's in the game, isn't it?

in terms of continuity

don't you know what canon means?
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:17 am

art wrote:
in terms of continuity

I don't recall Otacon dying in the good ending. The bombers never came, and it's not like the whole base collapsed. Seems perfectly canon to me. Not sure what stealth suit you're talking about, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:37 am

Drifter wrote:
art wrote:
in terms of continuity

I don't recall Otacon dying in the good ending. The bombers never came, and it's not like the whole base collapsed. Seems perfectly canon to me. Not sure what stealth suit you're talking about, though.

Active Camo
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:06 am

The stuff that turns you invisible? If so, how is it important to the plot?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great Games of Old   The Great Games of Old Empty

Back to top Go down

The Great Games of Old
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next