Review With Extreme Prejudice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion of games, reviews, previews and more.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fallout 3?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:05 am

I'm very interested in this game, it isn't much, I can probably get it for 20-30 dollars at this point, but how does it stand with current games? Is it one of those games that is FUCKING GREAT but only if you got it then, otherwise it's DONKEY SHIT?
Back to top Go down

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:12 am

Depends on if you like Bethesda games or not. It's a love it or hate it thing.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:16 am

art wrote:
Depends on if you like Bethesda games or not. It's a love it or hate it thing.

I didn't like Oblivion, simply because it was a fantasy world kind of thing, I like FPS and post apocalyptic games.
Back to top Go down

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:22 am

You might like Fallout 3.

But keep in mind it's nothing like a traditional FPS

Are you looking for a subpar "FPS with 'RPG ELEMENTS'" or are you looking for a full on Role-Playing game with FPS elements?
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 1:56 am

I like it. There's lots to do, it's well written. The gameplay is fine as far as I'm concerned although I know quite a few people hated the VATS system. I think it's far, far more RPG than it is FPS. You're really just playing from first person, there's a lot of hidden dice-rolling in the background to determine hits and so on. As an RPG fan, that's why I liked it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reviewwithextremeprejudice.com
-drifter-

-drifter-

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 am

Uberman wrote:
it's well written...

Fallout 3? EyebrowDwayne_Johnson
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 5:11 am

I just bought it, it's loading as we speak.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 am

Wow this game is really good, I'm about a hour in and can't get enough.
Back to top Go down
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:39 pm

@ Drifter : How dare you, sir ? How dare you raise The Rock's eyebrow at me ? It shall be pistols at dawn.

It IS well written. Through the lens of computer game writing, we're not talking Shakespeare here. And I dont just mean the dialogue. I mean the amount of varied situations they've managed to put in this one setting. Everything from

Spoiler:

The game never felt like - go to the cave and shoot a bunch of enemies. Now go to this town and shoot a bunch of enemies. Even though in practice that's often what you actually end up doing. There's a lot of variety in the quests and for my dollar, that constitutes good writing.
Back to top Go down
Infant Shaker

Infant Shaker

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 pm

The VATS system is cool and this game is horrifying to play when you don't know how to save, especially when you're in a dark building with Super Mutants and Octopus people.
Back to top Go down
-drifter-

-drifter-

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Uberman wrote:
@ Drifter : How dare you, sir ? How dare you raise The Rock's eyebrow at me ? It shall be pistols at dawn.

Are you sure that's such a good idea? --->

Quote :
It IS well written. Through the lens of computer game writing, we're not talking Shakespeare here. And I dont just mean the dialogue. I mean the amount of varied situations they've managed to put in this one setting. Everything from

Spoiler:

The game never felt like - go to the cave and shoot a bunch of enemies. Now go to this town and shoot a bunch of enemies. Even though in practice that's often what you actually end up doing. There's a lot of variety in the quests and for my dollar, that constitutes good writing.
Maybe my problem is that I'm holding it up to the standards of Fallout 1, but I never found anyone in Fallout 3 particularly likable or believable. While there were some interesting situations, none of them were as memorable as those in the first, like when I challenged the leader of a group of raiders to a fist-fight to win my friend's freedom. And before you accuse me of being blinded by the rose-tinted shades of nostalgia, keep in mind that I played Fallout 1 after Fallout 3.
Back to top Go down
PunchFox

PunchFox

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:26 am

Maybe I was just doing it wrong (And I probably was, since no one else has said they felt the same, but I'll say it anyways) but the difficulty curve in Fallout 3 seemed awfully weird to me. It started out relatively easy, and then quickly progressed to omfg-im-dying difficulty. Maybe I just tried getting too far ahead of myself/the game, but I thought I was following the story line at the pace it was telling me.

Also, this probably wouldn't have been as much of an issue, but I got the feeling that to really enjoy this game, I would need to put in ridiculous amounts of time, and when I had this game, I certainly didn't have that.

But that's just me. Other people seem to love it, and it definitely seems like a game I could have gotten into if I was able to put endless hours into it while I had it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jesseweiman.com
Uberman
Admin
Uberman

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 pm

PunchFox wrote:
Maybe I was just doing it wrong (And I probably was, since no one else has said they felt the same, but I'll say it anyways) but the difficulty curve in Fallout 3 seemed awfully weird to me. It started out relatively easy, and then quickly progressed to omfg-im-dying difficulty. Maybe I just tried getting too far ahead of myself/the game, but I thought I was following the story line at the pace it was telling me.

I didn't find this, but like a lot of free-roaming RPGs, it depends on your character build and how you choose to play. I found it pretty easy, but then I went for a tank character and never bothered with any stealth or anything like that. I could pick locks and disable security, which meant I usually had a fair amount of cash and ammo. So nothing 'clever' for me, and I only found a couple of difficult parts.

But yeah, like most RPGs there's a lot of hours there. Def not just pick up and play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fallout 3? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallout 3?   Fallout 3? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fallout 3?
Page 1 of 1